Bariloche


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Neuquén » Barreales Lake
October 17th 2012
Published: November 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mendoza to Bariloche


Bariloche Bariloche Bariloche

View from our room
Night bus from Mendoza, 20 hours on the bus is tough on your butt (yes I know what your thinking) but the last four hours along route 40 to Bariloche is through the most amazing landscape, geology, rivers and lakes that make it worth doing. Route 40 in itself is pretty amazing, it runs 5000 km from the Bolivian border in the north to Ushuaia in the south, crossing 18 important rivers, 20 national parks and nature reserves and connects 11 provences, Argentinas Route 66.

Bariloche is set at the side of lake Lago Nahuel Hauapi, at the edge of the Andes mountain range, on arrival we found our hostel "Penthouse 1004" on the 10th floor of the most ugly 70s built block of flats in the middle of the city, but on entry to the hostel we were met by the most panoramic view of the lakes and mountains that you normaly only see in guide books, the two women who run the hostel Annie and Ceceilia were incredibley friendley and helpfull, always there for advice what to see and do or which bus to take, the kitchen in the hostel was almost up to a restaurant standard (which makes a change) and also gave the same panoramic mountain views, this was the first hostel in which we ate in every night. In most hostels the kitchens are small and poorly equiped, and difficult to cook in when there are two or three people jostling for chopping space and a cooking ring, in "Penthouse 1004" there was three cooking areas, so no jostling and frowning.

To look at Bariloche and the surrounding area you could almost think you were in southern Germany or Austria apart from the Argentinian flags that hang everywhere, most of the walks involve hill climbing, there are also a lot off ski lifts for the ski season (which we just missed) although there is still a lot of snow above the tree line. We hired bikes to ride the Chico Circuit, a 26km road circuit along the shores of Lago Nahuel and past the luxurious mountain hotel "Llao Llau" (this was just outside our budget) the circuit follows an undulating (hilly) road flanked by thick forest and past picture perfect lakes and villages, we went off the trail (increasing the muscle ache even more) to visit 'little Switzerland" well the name says it all, but were glad to round the last bend and see the bike hire shop and the end, the hard bit was giving the bikes back without showing outward signs of pain. Climbed a couple of minor mountains, and visited some waterfalls, took the cable car and chair lift to the top of the "Cerro Catedral" the big ski center mountain, 2405mts, still with a good covering of snow at the top.

Every other shop in Bariloche sells chocolate and filled chocolates (yum yum) or italian ice cream or cheese fondue (we have got to get to peru to lose weight) this is due to the swiss, german and italian settlers who came to this area, the other shops sell tourist stuff, clothing with route 40 or Bariloche on them, key rings etc. We originaly booked for 3 nights but ended up staying 6, it was that good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Llao Lloa HotelLlao Lloa Hotel
Llao Lloa Hotel

Most famous hotel in Argentina, Just our luck no rooms available
Chico circuitChico circuit
Chico circuit

One of many rest spots
Cerro CatedralCerro Catedral
Cerro Catedral

Chair lift to the top of the ski mountain


11th November 2012

Hi to both of you!, Really enjoying reading your blogs and seeing the pics of your travels! You both look really happy and relaxed, could that be anything to do with all that choccie, Ali???. great to see you are having such a wonderful time, miss you lots Ali, keep the blogs coming! Shazza x x
12th November 2012

wow
looks a fantastic place. hmm gives me (us) a reason to go back out there.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb