The Power of Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones
October 12th 2009
Published: October 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Puerto Iguazu, Saturday 10th

Yiippppyyyy arrived 37 hours later fully loaded with bags, wallets and gadgets all accounted for. We were booked in to stay at Hostel Inn ( http://www.hostel-inn.com/ ) (which is apparently awesome) but found out that Marcopolo Inn ( http://www.marcopoloinniguazu.com/ ) across the road from the station is the sister hostel accommodation there so swapped our booking ,
Really recommend this hostel, really clean, beautiful garden and pool, good breakfast and very helpful staff - 100%! And easy to get the bus to falls and to your next destination as the terminal is across the road.




We managed to get straight off the bus and onto a half day tour ( stinky stonkers !) Visiting the Brazilian side of Iquazu falls ($ 40 park entrance exc Which ended up being $ 49 - you can pay in peso's and need your passport for crossing the border) and wow what a phenomenom, such vast amounts of water over such a large area, awesome.




Not much to do in Puerto Iguazu but after we had a very much needed shower we went for a little walk around the town and got food and some beers - beautiful weather in the evening, nice and warm and did not get bitten by any mozzies! )
The highlight of our trip would have to be the Argentinian side of the falls (ar $ 60 and $ 5 each way on the bus), My god, majestic, awe inspiring and a little overwhelming - Although great - Niagara Falls has nothing on these, just unbelievable !
Stunning walks right up to the base of some of the falls and walks above - up close and wetting, fantastic.




We did the Nautica adventure (Ar $ 75) which is on a jetboat which takes you right up to the falls, where you fully get to appreciate there amazing power and the thunderous roar or the water along with a drenching! You be prepared for a wet day as many of the falls and walks get you wet - just fantastic!
A great highlight would have to be Garganta del Diablo - Devils throat, the walkway itself is a feat of engineering, pretty much across the whole top of the falls and takes you to where a massive volume of water from 3 different directions converge and go over , with deafening thunder and sprayback awesome - just truly amazing. Be on the lookout for wildlife, we saw toucan, snakes, turtles and the cute yet dangerous COUTIS (raccoon / possum like long nosed animals) and beautiful butterflies.





Definitely a once in a lifetime experience - so stoked we did the 37 hours here and quite happy to do the 22 hours ( when we leave ) to have seen these.

Next stop Salta - bus ( 22 hours )




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb