On to Posadas!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Posadas
March 24th 2009
Published: March 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 14th March 2009

We had a well deserved lie in today! Was great! Decided to visit Evita´s grave. On the way we found a park full of 300 year old trees, how something can survive so long in Buenos Aires is beyond us!!!! They are now protected and have huge, twisting root making great photos (and somewhere a bit more private for the tramps to poo!). The cemetery where Evita´s grave is was full of massive family tombs, with the coffins on display you could almost touch them (a little creepy!). In comparison Evita´s family tomb was very modest but had the most visitors. After a few hours there we returned to the hostel for a nap before the party (which started at 1am, the clocks went back that night too making it seem even later!!!)

Sunday 15th March 2009

Last day in BA. After only 4 hours sleep (sorry mums), we checked out of the hostel and headed to San Telmo. Here we found a fantastic antiques market with all manner of old junk, the dolls were particularly scary!!! The streets were thronging with Tango dancers, musicians and artists. After watching some of the dancing we headed to the bus station to begin our 12hour overnight journey to Posadas. The coaches were fab, its like travelling first class, with meals and almost fully reclining chairs. Elaine even got champagne but Alex is still waiting on the foot rub he was expecting.

Monday 16th March 2009

Arrived at Posadas early morning and checked into our hostel. After a much needed shower and an application of sun cream (its much hotter than BA), we went to explore! This turned out to be more of a trek than we expected. In search of the museums in the guide book we found none of them existed, so in our wisdom (or at least Alexś wisdom) we went for a walk along the river. There were great views of Paraguay over the river but no shade from the blistering sun. When we came off the river side everything had shut down, we walked for miles to find a drink and only got one hours later. When we finally arrived back at the hostel we were knackered, sunburnt and maybe a little sun stroked (remember to take sun cream with us next time!)

Tuesday 17th March 2009

Today we travelled to San Ignacio to visit the ruins of the Jesuit mission. This was a beautiful place, with the ruins brilliantly preserved. The church was very imposing but the houses appeared to be made for people about 5 foot tall, maybe they were made for you Maureen/mum. It was a great place to explore and we both thoroughly enjoyed the day (especially as we had water this time!!!).

Wednesday 18th March 2009

We had our first casualty. Elaine was struck down by something, lets just say she would have fitted in at the poo park quite well. This wrote off our day some what but gave us (well mainly Alex) a chance to relax.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb