Halleluia Chorus, firewords and Obama


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
December 31st 2008
Published: January 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

MendosaMendosaMendosa

Happy New Year
Happy New year to you all.

We spent this new years at the hotel in Mendoza where they put on a spectacular dinner event. The hotel worked very hard all day to set it up in the large courtyard and it looked beautitul. Until that is it started to rain at about 3pm. As this area is a desert and only gets about 7 inches of rain a year this might not have been expected but the hotel staff all told us that this often happens at this time. Anyway they had to scramble and get it all moved inside to amuch smaller room.

The program went on and we were treated to a great meal, seranaded by Italian opera singers and finally at midnight a firework display set to the Halleluia chorus. It was a bit unreal as it was all decked out as a Venician mask ball but no less enjoayable for that. We got to sit with a young couple from Washington DC here on their honeymoon. It was a big contrast to four years ago when on a boat trip along the Beagle Channel in the far south of the country we had sat with a New Yorker as he and his fellow americans were more interested in watching the televison as news of George W\s re election came in. They sat and stared in disbelief and the man from New York cried for his country. This time the pride and enthusism was nice to hear. This young couple were lookign forward to the chnage , excited and proud. AS they said, even if they had to walk 6 miles from their home to be part of the crowd they would do so as this was an historic moment as Obama is sworn in. Non political before the events of 4 years ago made them become involved. It is good to see Americans having something to be proud of rather than having to apologuise for their leaders.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

MendosaMendosa
Mendosa

The courtyard was wet but beautiful


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb