Aconcagua and Mendoza- Chocolate and Fangio


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
December 27th 2008
Published: December 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived in Argentina, in Mendoza in fact. This cocmopolitan town is very unlike Chilian towns. We knew we were in Argentina as soon as we saw the first shop sold chocolate and were overtaken by a small underpowered car on a blind bend with double lines and a truck on the other side. Since our last visit the driving skills of the Argentina people have not improved and neither has their view of traffic signs as being nothing to do with them. It does make life interesting.

The pass over the Andes was spectacular and Aconcagua, which is the highest peak outside the Himilaya's did not disappoint. The road is a marvel of enginnerring with 25 switchbacks in one spot, one after another. Bleak and barran but very beautiful. One of the must drive roads in the world.

Mendoza is an oasis in this bleak landscape. One of the largest towns in Argentina and the most international. English voices everywhere. It is on the world travel scene as a wine growing area and there are many vineries to visit, which we will do as much justice to as we can. It always takes a bit of adjusting to Argentina time as dinner is rarely until 10pm and the party goes on to the early hours. Chile is not quite so late and a lot more sedate.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

AconcaguaAconcagua
Aconcagua

Coming into Mendoza


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.4kb