Puerto Madryn, Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
February 5th 2009
Published: February 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mags Trip round South America


And so after about 20 hours on a bus, I made it to Puerto Madryn, which is a good base for going to Valdes Peninsula and Trelew.

Puerto Madryn (so you know) was settled by 153 welsh people in the late 1800 as they felt their way of life and language was being eradicated by the English. So you can get very nice cups of tea here unlike everywhere else in Argentina where it is very weak.

Got chatting to some french guy who said him, and two others had rented a car, so the next day (having got up an hour early due to not realizing the clocks had changed) at around 8am new time, we drove around 300 km to visit Valdes Peninsula. Saw lots of Llamas, sea lions and penguins but not much else!! Whales were there last month and the Orcas come and try and catch baby seals next month. Still the Penguins were good for a laugh, unlike the French people, who promised to speak in English and spent the entire day speaking French. Still Im sure it made them feel superior and reinforced my view of the french!!!

The day after I walked upto where the welsh had landed, and sheltered in some caves before moving to Trelew. There was also a Ecocentre which charged an extortenate amount to get in, but having walked about 3km and getting cvaught in a sand storm to get there, I paid to go in. Lovely views of the Town and lots of information about the ocean, some of which for a change was in English. YOu could also hear what a whale or Orca sounded like!!!

I decided not to go down to Trelew, as it cost about 25 pounds to get into the historical welsh bit which seemed a bit expensive for a look round, expecially as all that was there were a few houses built at the time and nice cups of tea, and I reckon I can visit Wales when I get back and do both!!

So a bus ticket was bought and off to Bariloche and went.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb