Tea, cake, a penguin city and off road adventures!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola

Wohoo! Back to the world of blogging! So what can I tell you. After the joyous nature of our 26 hour plane journey to buenos aires we didn´t really see that much of buenos aires. Made it to the coolest cemetary the world has ever seen (yes I know me and graveyards never mix but this one is very cool!) and attempted to find some good steak (I had a mouthfull - but still not back to the world of the carnivous I´, afraid pops!) - (kay talc still wins!) but we weren´t really in the mood for huge cities so what do most normal people do when they´ve just got off the worlds longest plane journey - yep we booked ourselves on the first 14 hour bus ride out!!
Argentinian buses are amazing! National express would rate off the scale in comparison and if megabus were ever to set foot in this country they would be turned round at the border! Even budget class (which of course is us!) came with the worlds most reclined seat, movies, food and imagine my delight when half way through the afternoon a waitor arrived with tea and biscuits!!! I almost burst with excitement!
Anyway enough on tea for the moment. We´ve called at a few places on the way down but have spent the last few days on the edge of patagonia cruising around the national parks spotting whales, llamas, road runners and armadillos! on a little scooter we hired - failing to tell the man we planned to take it up dirt tracks, fields, the beach and grass airfields to the middle of no where (but what he doesn´t know won´t hurt him!).
2 days ago we´d made it down the coast on our itsy bitzy scooter to a small town famed for welsh teahouses. Yes guess whose idea it was to visit that! But there really is a town in argentina called Gaiman where you can go and sit in someones front room and have unlimited tea and cake (again I almost popped in excitement!). Aaron nearly made himself sick but me having the tolerance of a small whale for tea and cake my dinner consisted of 1 huge pot of tea and 25 different types'of cake! (I look forward to joining diabetes uk very soon!). After that we spent the evening in a local pub where the only other occupance were the 65 year old barman and 4 of his mates before somehow ending up in the kitchen having dinner with them and an interesting conversation in sign language.
Yesterday started off with one of my favourite games which is cruise around town looking for rubbish (oh yes - life is good!). Because we had such an itsy bitsy scooter it only had an itsy bitsy tank and yesterday we drove 290km (my bum still has not recovered!). So cue us cruising down picking up drinks bottles to arrange in a small moutain on the scooter as our supply of petrol! So yesterday many argentinian lorry drivers were treated to the sight of a 125cc scooter piled high with petrol and 2 crazy westerners (don´t worry pops we had helmets!), one wearing all her clothes in any old random order cos it was soo cold!, maximising the revs down a dirt road in search of 500,000 penguins! And it was so worth it - it was like new york city penguin styly! We ran out of petrol on the way home (cue us -well I mean aaron- pushing it a few kilometres!) and pulling up at our hostel at midnight looking like 2 hypothermic madmen, but it was a great day!
Anyway today we aim to book onto the next 36 hour bus adventure to go as far south as we can, I will look you all up from there.

Thanks for all the meassages so far, keep them coming and huge love and hugs

xxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb