Fantastic Voyage


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
January 9th 2007
Published: January 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I feel like i got away with something.... the sun is out til 9:30. i think i´ll try to skip winter more often. anyways just a quick update: flight was long- more than 24 hours of airports and planes, then we began the road trip the day of my arrival. we tried to make it to las grutas (one of the last beaches south of buenos aires, further south the water is cold and the shore is too rocky) in one day (10 hour drive from buenos aires), but we left late and didn´t make it. we tried to find a hotel at 12 am but everything was full. the funny part was there were a group of a few cars with us that kept going to the next hotel to check availability.... it was like the amazing race where everyone gets bottlenecked in one location and then tries to get the reward first. anyway camping happened... luckily i brought the tent. to get to las grutas we passed through the pampa (like the plains in the midwest) then the northern part of patagonia (much like a gentle rolling highland desert with scrubby trees and sheep and ostriches and llama like creatures running around occasionally). we went to a few beaches along the way some completely emty others packed. now we are in the peninsula valdez, famous for whale migrations in september. we´ll spend a day or two here camping and then we´ll start heading west.

the three others i´m traveling with get along well. the only complaint is we can be a bit disorganized in the execution of plans.

i´m also being reminded of some of the funny things about argentina that i forgot: you need change at all times, if you try to pay for something with a 50 peso bill that costs only 25 centavos, they don´t have change and it´s up to you to get it. traffic is crazy- the lane markes mean nothing. cars will not stop for pedestrians in marked crosswalks. i enjoy the extra freedom on the roads and take full advantage of lane drifting. if someone says they´ll be there in 15 minutes it really means anywhere from 30 to an hour. each day i re remember something funny about this country.

that´s all for now

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb