When i grow up...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Esquel
December 11th 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

... i want to have a roadside stall, selling goodies to hungry cycle tourists. We passed lots of signs for cerezas before our curiosity got the better of us and we discovered we were in prime cherry growing country. So weighed down with fresh cerezas and torte frita (scone-like cakes of bread) we continued south from the quaint wee lakeside village of Epuyen through the picturesque Chubut region and onwards through Los Alerces National Park.
We've enjoyed travelling through this tranquil and stunning region so much that we happy to only do about 50 or 60 km´s a day, making the most of the swimming spots and stopping to take in the scenery often. Which is a nice way of saying the roads are bloody terrible since we left the tarmac of Ruta 40, 30km north of Cholila. We're thankful that we have our mountain bikes, as slow as they were on the seal. Even though, KJ is finding that loaded panniers on the deep, loose gravel slow going.
The frontier town of Cholila has little going for it other than the cabins that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were said to have laid low in for 5 or 6 years at the turn of last century. We were much more enamoured by Epuyen and the town from which i am now typing, Trevelin, which is proud of it´s Welsh heritage. But the best parts have been the dramatic spaces between these two towns, Los Alerces National Park. Being just before the holiday season the roads and campsites are still almost deserted, but we are told that this is far from the norm come January.
So we are glad to have chosen this route, it seems a perfest intinerary for cycle touring. As we head towards the crossing into Chile at Futuleufu, our direction becomes less certain as our plan to head to the island of Chiloe may be impossible due to the eruption of the Chaiten Volcano, and the subsequent evacuation of Chaiten, the town from which the ferry leaves. As usual, getting accurate info is not easy. We'll see, maybe in Chile tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The good lifeThe good life
The good life

Yet another sweet campsite beside the serene Lago Rivadavia


14th December 2008

Jealous
Awesomely jealous of you guys while I'm trying to put off what little Xmas shopping I need to do. Have a cerveza or two on my behalf please! Great photo's.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb