Argentina - Buenos Aires - "My Birthday"


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
September 2nd 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

San Lorenzo v's BocaSan Lorenzo v's BocaSan Lorenzo v's Boca

Home Fans!!! Daz this must remind you of Palace!!! it did me they lost 7-1!!!
Wow!! Buenos Aires!! Loved It!!
I really dont know where to begin???? This Place Is Amazing!!!! By Far The Best City Ive Ever Been Too!!!!!!!!!!!
Its has everything.... Great night life, Fantastic Food & Restuarants, the most Beautiful Districts and the Most Passionate Footy Supporters!!! Friendly people, wonderful Hostel and its all so cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im stuck!!! really dont know where to start!!! where do i start????...

Ok i guess in the beginning....

Arrived on the overnight bus from Foz, 18 hours and pretty ok....Had a recommendation to stay at Hostel Milhouse, but i never realised how good it was and when i arrive they were fully booked!!! : ( So i stayed next door!!! Boring but pleasent and clean!!! the plan here was to spend the weekend in Buenos Aires and go over to Uraguay for 4 days mid week and then back for the following weekend in Buenos Aires (so i pre booked myself into the Milhouse)..... And thats what happened!!!! Gonna miss out the Uraguay bit as will do that on a separate blog (quite but pretty place) and post with my South America summary...Yes its over!!! i fly tonight (6th Sept) to New Zealand!!!!!

*******Tried
My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!

Happy Birthday Too Meeeee...Happy Birthday Tooooo Meeee... Happy Birthday To Ray ay... Happy Birthday Too Mee!!!
to add some video?? New feature but dont think its working yet!!!****

Gonna do this in bits (but i´ll leave the footy till last so the girly´s don´t get bored!!!):-

"Hostel Milhouse"


This has to be pretty much the template for any new hostel.... Every body goes there via word of mouth so your all expecting a great time because you´ve heard the stories of Buenos Aires... So there none of the rallying people together to go out that you get in some places!!! its against hostel rules not too!!! Its based in a big old building on 4 floors and is mostly dorms, on the bottom floor you have a bar selling snacks, beer and wine (yes were now in Argentina and the wine is superb!!!), they do a inclusive breakfast from 8:30 till 11:00 but i never made it down for ONE!!! (wheres my refund!!!), theres a pool table and lots of sofas and tables...Above this is a suspended balcony with tv area and free internet..... Loads of trips to clubs every night as in M,T,W,T,F,S & S with an inhouse party on the Tue´s & Thur´s before... And many excursions around the town and to
La Boca...La Boca...La Boca...

Caminito.... This will make it onto my wall when i get a house!!!!
the Footy games at the weekends!!! Really Cool Place!!!

"City Life In Argentina"


It takes a few days to get your head and body around this but you cant change it!! You have to change You!!! Basicly they have changed the clocks without touching the hands??? Firstly you go out to eat a meal about 11pm not before 10!! and the restuarants dont even open till 9pm!! then back to a bar till maybe 2am or 3am then maybe its time to go to a club!!! get home at about 7ish and sleep till about 1pm chill and have some lunch then a siesta from 6ish till 9pm.... Over and Over again!!! and its not just youngsters the restuarants are full of tables of ageing men and groups of chatty women at midnight!!! How anybody gets to work!!!! Its ok in retail shops open at 10am siesta is from 3pm till 6pm then close about 9!!!! and the students!!! spoke to a few and most were on courses for 5 days aweek that ran from 7pm till Midnight???? just so the whole place can PARTY and have a good social life!!!
Anybody with a transfer department at work search
Hello Kitty!!!!Hello Kitty!!!!Hello Kitty!!!!

Silly Cat On A Hot Tin Roof!!!!
under Argentina!!!

"My Birthday"



My Birthday was on 2nd September my 31st!!! yes 31!!! Strange i was trying to put a year into contex before i left to feel how long my trip would be, but turning 31 did it in a flash!!! seems like last year consisted of 30th Party at the old house then Christmas/New Year then Holiday to Kenya-Safari then Travelling!!!! Pretty scarerily quick!!!!....
Anyway its 1st september and in the hostel chatting away to folks and i mention that its my birthday tomorrow!!! then some bright spark says it actually in 15 minutes!!! the time being 23:45 and everyone just chilling and drinking till the bus leaves for the club "Mint" at 2:30am.... So infact in Argentina you can celabrate your Birthday Twice and i did!!! second night we went to "Pasha" but i had a flat battery in me camera so no pics of that night there all from Mint.... Going out was Me, Aussie Guy, Canadian Guy, 2 Brazillian Girls, 2 Quality Bearded Germans and a few girls the Aussie guy met a week ago who only just arrived....
I arrived in Buenos Aires in my trekking stuff and Immediatly had to
Tango Show!!!Tango Show!!!Tango Show!!!

Thats Me On The Far Right Of The Stage!!!!!!
go out to buy a shirt and jeans, was great to go out and feel a little bit normal!!! (all that trekking gear goes in a box and home when i get to oz in 4 weeks!!).... Got in at 7:30 from Mint and slept till midday at which point i checked me birthday emails and dossed till siesta... On my birthday night went to Pasha with 2 Fulham lads i met in the day and a group of Irish girls and 2 American girls was also a great night and got in about 5ish (my personal favourites the Germans didnt come because of a Rock Night at another club...OperaBay..)..... All In All A Very Memorable A Fun Birthday Weekend!!!!!!


"La Boca"



An enchanting little subburb down by the docks... Beautifully vibrant buildings set amoungst the most charming little smokey dark wood coffee shops decked out by the owners with black a white pictures dating back from when they were in thier late 20's a then a catologue of all the famous people whove popped in over the years...From Presidents of Arg, Bra, Usa and actors, film stars, supermodels and sporting legends including of cause Maradonna
My Birthday!!!!My Birthday!!!!My Birthday!!!!

Brazilian girls from the hostel.... This was Isobel...In club "Mint"...
(this is where he grew up and home to his Boyhood team for whom he played "Boca Juniors")....And the best "Chocolati Con Leche" in the world!!! Hot Chocolate With Milk!! but comes as steaming hot frothed milk and a small bar of dark chocolate that you melt in it (sure those of you that have been to Italy have seen this but it was new to me!!!)....
Theres a small craft market some independant art galleries (i commissioned a piece of work to be done for me got to get it shipped back for when i return), Souvenier shops, Boca Junior Shops and lots of street people doing stuff from Paintings to Tango... Its easy to spend a day here just chatting, writting postcards and letters and watching the world go by.....

Evita

Buenos Aires in also home to the famous balcony sceenes of Evita addressing the masses, she is also buried here in the City Cemetary, i visited it in the early morning and it was quite spooky!! no-one about!!!, 4000 marble and gold elaberate "Garden Shed" size tombs... None of them corrisponding and each trying to outdo thier neighbour....

Wine & Olive Oil

On
My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!

This is my favourite!!! Classic!!! Hanz from the hostel out on my Bday smoking his pipe in the middle of one of the biggest housey clubs in the city at about 5am!!!! Crazy Germans!!! (Sorry Nadine!!)....
my way to Santiago to get my flight i stopped in mendoza for 2 days (1 noche) and being the biggest producer of wine in Argentina (1200 vinyards 800 in Mendza alone) i went on a wine tasting and vinyard visit to both a commercial and hand run winery... Oh and an olive plant too, got to taste at all three places!!!!!!

Not gonna bore you with the science but here a few interesting fact you may not have known...
White Wine only uses the juice where as Red Wine uses all the flesh, pips and skin to get its flavour... If it didnt it would also be clear like Whitw Wine!!!! Ròse is Red Wine taken out of the fermentation process early and clear also because the sediment sinks to the bottom of the vats in the first 2 weeks!!!... Best years for Argentinian wine were 1999 and 2002!!! And wine peaks at year 6 but is best from years 2-8, Older the better is a myth unless stored proffesionally in only the finest winerys as the humidity destroys it!!!... Argentina Wine is goog for 14 years where as European Wine will last upto 35 years!!!.... When tasting
My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!

Me,Ozzy,Izzy,James....Good Fun... But my hair goes a little dodgey when wet...Brought a cap today to get me past this dodgey stage!!!
wine the first smell is for the Fruits the the little swill (induces oxygen) of the glass and the Second smell is for Vegtables and Oakness!!!.. Argentina Produces 400,000,000 bottles a year!!! And the average yearly comsumption per person is 36 litres (50 bottles) in 1960 was 88 litres (100+ bottles!!)...

Black and Green olives are actually the same plant!!! the green are picked before fully ripe and a little bitter and the black picked later and sweeter!!!! Both are treated in salt for 2 months before being stored in oil (Black Rock Salt Dry - Green Salty Water!!)....6kg of olives makes 1 litre of Extra virgin and Virgin Oil, the pulp is sent away and chemicaly treated with solvents and this is what the cheap standard Olive Oil is!!!

Football



This was a briliant experience!!! and as im writing this ive just noticed a new video option in the toolbar so i'll try to add some football footage too.... There are 3 teams in Buenos Aires, the main two you will have heard of being Boca Juniors and the other RiverPlate, these are arch rivals in a religion kind of way and also in the fold
My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!My Birthday!!!

Was in the hostel just drinking and chatting till about 2:30 am then went onto Mint a club on the outskirts of the city.....
are the slightly less known San Lorenzo... Boca have won the title 2 years on the trot Riverplate have been in the top 3 always and San Lorenzo are a midtable outfit... First weekend i was in BA it was the San Lorenzo v's Boca derby at SanL... Fairly new ground with 35,000 capacity!!! it was amazing the fans are mental!!! we were told not to take anything into the ground!! No cameras, No watch, No wallet No nothing!!! I did as figured it was worth the risk and my camera is only titchy anyhow..... In my heart i was sort of a Boca fan in the wrong end as id already been down to La Boca where there based and was going to see them at home next weekend....So when they hammered SanL 7-1 i wasnt as dispointed as most at the home end... But to be fair they kept up the singing and the vibe for most of the 90 minutes and i was supprised at how many stayed till the end!!! And at the end they give the away fans a 30 minute head start to escape the area and after trashing the home team they would
My Birthday!!!!My Birthday!!!!My Birthday!!!!

Had to put another one in!!!!!
need every second!!! especialy as after 20 mins of trying to break trough the police barries that was in between the two cormer stands the fans in the higher tears all leaned over the edge and started to urinate on the 50 or so police down below!!! they ran and the mob were set free!!!!!

Following week was a top of the table clash between Boca and Estudiantes who were second and managed by Diego Simone of the Beckham foul fame and in the starting line up was one Juan Sebastian Veron (Wondered where he got too!!)... It was a thrilling game and high quality end to end play.. Boca came out 2-0 winners and fully deserved too... The ground was realy intimidating but i was a little unlucky with my ticket, great view just couldnt see all the home hooligans as was in the stand above them!!! at one point i thought i was gonna faint!! i can over all wobbling in my legs!! Untill i realised the concrete structure was actually shaking with all the jumping and singing below (was just like the Hotel End at the County Ground!!).... Both wicked games and tickets were 14 pesos
La Boca...La Boca...La Boca...

Caminito.... One Of My Favourite Places Of All!!! So Vibrant & Colourfull...
which is about 3 pounds!!!!! an dthey still manage to buy 9 million pound players!!!! Tells you something!!!!

So my time here is done...Very sad to be leaving as loads i never got to do!!! But ive a plane to catch!!!!!!!!!!

I know for a fact i'll be here again and i'd recommend it to everyone a brilliant place...

Proud Of The Pictures Below!!! Please Take a Look (check out freeky corner shop at the bottom!!!!!!)....

Take Care All....xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

San Lorenzo v's Boca JuniorsSan Lorenzo v's Boca Juniors
San Lorenzo v's Boca Juniors

Crowd Shot... 40,000 in total....
San Lorenzo v's BocaSan Lorenzo v's Boca
San Lorenzo v's Boca

Just like on the telly!!! Flares everywhere!!! Even During The Game!!!
Nice Food!!!!Nice Food!!!!
Nice Food!!!!

Was nice to get back to eating out!!!! This is what ive missed about home!!! Done really well with my South America Buget so as this is my last week!!! What the hell!!! It was only a tenner for the whole meal and wine anyhow!!!
Boca v's EstudiantesBoca v's Estudiantes
Boca v's Estudiantes

Because the passion is so high hear and so not to provoke any extra trouble this is the only place in the world you will see a Coca-Cola in black!!! as red & white is the colour of the arch rivals River Plate!!!!
Boca vBoca v
Boca v

Main stand, Maradonna having played for Boca has an executive box here and never misses a home game!!! I didn't spot him but he has lost alot of weight recently.....
Boca v's EstudiantesBoca v's Estudiantes
Boca v's Estudiantes

Game Finished 2-0 to Boca... Estudiantes are managed by Diego Simone (from beckham red card 1998) and they have Veron playing for them too... And at second in the league a good result for Boca...
Boca v's EstudiantesBoca v's Estudiantes
Boca v's Estudiantes

Home Crowd, the away only get the top tear at one end, hense the restriction on numbers and the few enpty seats on the left... Players came out of the holes in the ground on the right touchline....
Graffiti Subway...Graffiti Subway...
Graffiti Subway...

Just next to the hostel... Pretty good went right round the corner....
Tango Lessons!!!Tango Lessons!!!
Tango Lessons!!!

Buenos Aries Is The Heart Of Tango!!! But In Me Trekking Boots I Did It Little Justice... But I Do Know Know The 8 Steps For Basic Tango!!!!!
Run Away!!!!!!!!!Run Away!!!!!!!!!
Run Away!!!!!!!!!

The resturants here are amazing and the steaks are the best in the world!!! and the biggest!!! and the cheapest!!!! Fillet Meat About 5pound!!!


6th September 2006

hooray!!! 31!!!
you're so old now!!! isn't travelling meant to be a student thing?? sounds like you had a cool birthday, how have you survived alcohol poisoning??? wondered what you meant by crazy germans, then realised you know other Nadine's!, unless it was for me, and i'm just thick.... anyway, carry on partying, keep the blogs coming, (i even read the footie bit!!), was only joking about the 'old' bit btw xxx
6th September 2006

facking ell
where are the palace fans then? you lying get. And, the part where you say, 'not gonna bore you with the science', well, you did. Cunt. (Miss ya, kind of)
7th September 2006

thats better.............
Well done Ray you sneaked at least four pictures of women in there, even Hans looked sexy in a weird german golden shower kinda light. In fact I think at the end of your travels you may look a bit like Hans, just dont shave - Hans rocks
25th March 2009

great
I am argentinian and a big boca juniors fan, I hope you had had a great time in buenos aires. My university is 4 blocks away from the hostel you've been! Your point of view of our life is really interesting, because you remark things that are completely normal for us and we don´t notice! Come vist us again!
3rd April 2009

Will Definately Be Back!!..
Had a great time, yours was by far my favourite city during my trip... Thanks for the memories.. Peace.. Ray...

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 21; qc: 100; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb