Don't Cry for Me Argentina...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
April 3rd 2005
Published: April 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Feeling very historical.... walking in the footsteps of Eva Peron, Sarmiento, Che Guevarra and many other nameless argentinians who have contributed to history in their worlds!

BA has been a great place to start the holiday... however one of the key lessions that I think that we can all learn from Buenos Aires is that no matter how many more lanes you add to a road, traffic jams will remain!

Dave has become an amateur photographer so you will start to see some arty shots appearing on the web... however I am not really being the supportive wife that you would all expect! much... "come on dave... how long can it take you to take one picture!!" However it will all be worth it in the end when you only have 6 really good pictures to view of our entire holiday rather than snap happy catherine who would have taken 5000 rather bad ones!

anyway... eva perons grave was all i could have hoped for... a name on a rather large vault... as dad always says.... ยจ"they are all dead" so not a lot of excitement! However I have always wanted to come so that is one box
Dave's DinnerDave's DinnerDave's Dinner

Argentinian Parillas are huge!!! All this for one person. ME!!
ticked on my lifetime goal list!

Our achievements so far: Dave has eaten more meat in one week than an entire lifetime.... see photo for proof.... - so as my spanish wasn't quite up to scratch, we discovered that this veritable delicacy included intestines, blood sausage, udder, and sweetbreads - yum!! And all this was for one person at one meal! My spanish has improved significantly however - I am now able to say "dos cortados" with aplomb - and have learned the word for "CD burning" which based on the previous paragraph is now a very important phrase in my vocabulary!

As usual dave and I are having daily "debates" on whether Che Guevarra was a hero or a villain, whether we should catch the number 24 or number 25 bus or whether he should wear his jeans or his shorts! but we are having a lot of fun in the process! lots of cortados (coffee!) and medialunas (sweet pastries) are contributing to a great holiday with many long conversations that we never seem to get around to in our everyday life!

We think we attended church last night.... the sign said "culta" but it felt good! we had no idea what was going on anyway as the whole thing was in spanish, so we thought that we were pretty safe from indoctrination even if this turned out to be a heretical cult. Dave's only comment was that if a live llama was brought in and laid on the altar, we were to make polite apologies and RUN! (we saw this being done in a Peruvian documentary so it does happen!!)... actually I was quite good at translating for dave... everytime the preacher said Gloria a Dios... I translated nicely for dave... it was the bits between that phrase which are still a bit blurry! However he said Gloria a Dios a lot so I think that dave got a lot out of it!

Are missing you all but having a blast... chat soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th April 2005

Glad you had a great time here!
Hello guys! It's me, the girl from the telmotango hostel, I love your blog, it's interesting plus funny at the same time, a quite difficult charasteristic to achieve in travel blogs...heh! I also loved your pics, they look way better than most of the pictures in BA postcards...!! Well, I'll keep reading about your trip to Peru...good luck! - Marilina

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb