Don´t play drinking games with Argentinian Vodka!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 26th 2006
Published: March 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we eventually reached Buenos Aires after another long bus journey 18 hours to be precise!

So what can we tell you, lets start with the taxi ride back from the bus station - we had wondered why there are no theme parks in BA but once you've been in a cab here you understand that there really is no need for any more white knuckle rides! There is ridiculous amount of traffic and thus about 6 lanes to most main roads with one having a total of 14 lanes, yes 14, however this apparently is not sufficient for the agentinian who straddle the lanes to fit about 25 cabs door to door. Passengers, it is advisable to keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times if you want to keep them!

So we got a hostel in an area of BA called San Telmo - quite nice little place with a little plaza where there are street entertainers dancing the tango, singing, juggling and all sorts, which is pretty cool. This has been the first place we've really had enough time to kick back and enjoy ourselves or in Jemmas case get so drunk playing circle of death that she was in bed at 8.30!! However give her credit - after 2 hours of porcelain love she was back with us!! Met some pretty cool people - a few Brits and shared our room with a crazy aussie who farted in his sleep - sorry Jared!!

Went to an Irish bar near recoleta recommended by lonely planet which attracted lots of backpackers as well as argentinians which gave us a chance to practice our spanish - Gina's coming along well with her trademark phrase "no speaka espanol".

Also went to a club at the port which was pretty fancy but despite arriving at 1 am there still wasn´t many people there however a couple of drinks and games of slapsies later we realised there was another room where the more intelligent people were heading to. Spurred on by the stupidly expensive drinks and Yazz´s " the only way is up" we continued to party and converse badly with the locals til the wee hours. Note to self dont drink copius amounts of vodka redbulll and expect to be able to sleep when you get home at 8am!!

So all partied out we decided to have an easy night last night and sample BA´s famous steak with a few people we met at the hostel - steak was pretty good but the light sensors in the toilet weren't as fun as they sound - imagine sitting on the loo having to wave your hands around like a lunatic just to keep the lights on! After finally managing to move our stuffed selves out the restaurant we went to go back to the hostel only to find ourselves in the middle of a mini carnival/ foam party in the street. After getting caned buy the locals we decided so get our revenge and bought a few cans of foam ourselves but just ended up soaking each other - imagine the abominable snowman times 6 and that was us! Suffice to say i think gina and jemma regretted blow drying, straightening hair and putting make up on that night!!

As for the sight-seeing we went into the centre of town and gina hit the shops!! Also went to the casa rosada where evita famously sang to the masses, went to torre del ingleses - a big ben replica that we went up to get a pretty impressive view of the city and went to the eerie cemetary of recoleta where the rich and famous of Argentina are buried in extravagent tombs.

Heading to Uruguay tonight - Sorry Jeff and Lesley it is Uruguay not Paraguay as Jemma has previously informed you!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



26th February 2006

do dry out soon fiongemmagina
Sooner you get to the 'dry' inca trail the better judging by the copious amounts of vodka you're all shipping. Hope you make it to Montevideo (battle of the river plate fame anoraks to note) - now I realise why you travel by night sleeping it off no doubt.Did you take a picture of 'little ben' as well as one from it? At the risk of giving you an excuse to visit another vodka joint remember on Wednesday England play Uraguay - Wayne Bridge is in the squad. Adios.
27th February 2006

Evita
Saw the film - the balcony bit was the best - loved the music. You all look so well - was that sunburn on Gemma's back - she looked a bit peely. You sound as though you are having a great time. New clothes after 3 weeks - obviously the laundry service is not as good as at home. Love to you all xx
27th February 2006

Nice Body
The aussie guy has got a pretty fit bod though at first view i thought he had some kind of candle headress on. We didn't spot Fi and Jem in photo at first they fitted in so well. We are glad that you are still having plenty of fun and seeing loads of things. Remember your green cross code when crossing roads. Take Care loads of Love to you all mum and dad casey
1st March 2006

hello gina just caught up with all of your journals it all looks pretty amazing everyone at work says hi take care miss you x x x

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb