Bienvenidos


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 25th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The land of CheThe land of CheThe land of Che

The street art in San Telmo, beside where we listened to live music as we sat and ate our first empanada. Fantastic.
You tend to notice a lot of things whe you're on a plane for 13 hours. The uncomfortable seats and lack of leg room were givens, the terrible TV screens disapointing, the broken fittnings around the place disconcerting. The unsmiling hostesses didn't seem to care that the headphones didn't work, but I don't think that audio would have added much to the formulaic hollywood rom-com and budget thriller that passed as in flight entertainment. Muchos Gracias to Amy and Ryan for the magazines!
So it was a relief to land in Buenos Aires, albeit in 32 degrees after very little sleep, and collect our luggage. Traveling with bikes has been surprisingly easy up to this point, somehow we have avoided any excess charges even though we have 40 to 50kgs each. Getting a taxi to town was interesting as the taxis are small, but the resourcefulness of B.A. taxi drivers made me think that we probably could have got pur bikes into Anth and Beth's wee car after all. The recklessness of B.A. drivers made us glad that we didn't cycle in from the airport. KJ 's view of the roads was from about an inch from the windscreen, as we contorted ourselves to fit around the bikes.
Ever organised, KJ had booked a couple of nights in a double room for us to catch up on sleep and sort out gear in our own space, Great idea, only the hostel had no record of our cooking, but did manage to find us a couple of beds. I think Argentinians are pretty relaxed about this sort of thing, so we've adopted a similar attitude.
We left our hostel for a look around, stumbled across a lively street market a couple of blocks away, and found ourselves caught up in a procession of drummers and dancers, carrying their infectious rythms along the narrow cobbled streets and holding up traffic. Welcome to Buenos Aires!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Playing tourista....Playing tourista....
Playing tourista....

On sunday, exhausted from the flight, we were exploring the markets and stumbled onto Plaza de Maya, the casa rosa. The pink house that Evita used hang out at.


27th November 2008

awesome! i am so excited for you both being on your big adventure, and such a fascinating place! The blog is a super idea :) love the photos and hearing about your discoveries. Sending lots of happy vibes through the ethers your way xo K

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb