Gauchos of the Eastern Pampas


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
October 25th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are going to check out the gauchos in the Eastern Pampas today. These guys were like the cowboys of our western folklore as there is quite a bit of romanticism surrounding their life and culture. In actuality it was a rather brutal existence for these ronan (a Japanese cowboy word) as they had a non conformist attitude in the first place. Made up of the runaway Spanish conquistador rank and file, they hooked up with indigenous women and produced offspring that were pretty independent. Their survival techniques were kinda crude but later when civilization moved east with their hoofed animals these gauchos evolved into the working class. Now with more efficient modern techniques being used on most farms, their ranks are diminishing and rounding up tourists rather than cattle are their forte.

We are heading through a rather industrialized area, lots of international companies along the freeway to our dude ranch when I notice the Sheik Abdullah Hotel. Then the Ultimate Experience Hotel and the Fly Me to the Moon Hotel. My anthropological curiosity was killing me. Maybe the gauchos had traded in their horses for beds. I confirmed my suspicions with our local professor that these were identical to the Japanese love hotels we were familiar with. But why here? I can only guess that with easy off and on freeway access these entrepreneurs are in the ultimate quickie business.

We arrive at the Don Silvano Estancia Turistica with the emphasis on the last word. Reminded me of the Sacramento Land Park horse experience I take my granddaughters to. But it was outta town and the weather was great. We were towed around behind horse and tractor drawn buggies, checked out the petting zoo…no petting allowed, and the obligatory gift shop. After awhile we the dinner bell rang and we were herded into a big chow hall where we were served tons of asados. (Didn’t see the butchering process but didn’t see any cows either. Like the trees in Brazil I guess the tourist’s appetites have clear cutted them all.) During this bloodletting we were entertained with music and dancing from all over the country along with a chance to show off our newfound tango skills. This seemed a little outta place but you gotta serve what the tourists are hungry for.

After the last cow was consumed we waddled out to the open space where the last of the gauchos showed off their skills poking a ring off a hanging apparatus with a wooden stick. Then they present the ring to one of the ladies for a kiss and the husband or significant other gets to kiss the horse. Why do they always pick on Kazuko for these kinda things? I felt sorry for one who apparently didn’t pass elementary stick poking and even though we cheered for one more chance after about 5 tries he sheepishly took a bow. I think I noticed the boss man hanging an advertising sign on his back for the Poke Me Here Hotel as we were walking back to our motorized stagecoach.

BTW the cough is gone, the ear is hearing and the temps are getting hotter. Life is good.
Now if I can only figure out how to draw a map of the world for my geography class…

Chow
Danny


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



27th October 2008

Great Outing
Dear Danny and Kazuko, I am so glad you are having a good time and nice weather. I envy you for this great experience - I would love to be there with you! Looking forward to further news also about your health - Love, Margarethe PS: I think they are picking Kazuko for the kissing because she looks so beautiful and adventurerous.
29th October 2008

the impression
I'm getting the impression that you are less than impressed with the BA experience. So, how does the beef measure up to No. American beef? Linda

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb