Strikes & Protests


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 2nd 2005
Published: December 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

While booking ourselves onto a wine tour in Mendoza, the girl at the hostel we´re staying at happens to mention that Aerolineas Argentinas (the national airline, who we´ve booked a flight to Buenos Aires with tomorrow) are on strike and have been for nearly a week.
We have to get there. Duran Duran are playing. Our room in our posh hostel has cable TV. Flick round the channels and find a live heated union debate with the workers from the socialist airline. The company have now started sacking people, so the strike is on for a while...

Oh dear, this means a 13 hour bus journey back to Buenos Aires overnight.

But the God of 80´s Pop Music is looking down on us and (with the help of an incredibly chatty and helpful travel agent, Francisco) we get ourselves on a different flight leaving at 7pm that night. We had to cancel the wine tour, but we had a bottle to celebrate!

So we´re back in Buenos Aires and there´s hundreds of people protesting about something else. They like their protests here. There seems to be one or two every day. Lots of banners with stuff on that means nothing to us. All the chefs were marching in their chef hats last week.

Great to be back in such an excellent city.

x






Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb