Cats, Fleas & the Parrilla


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We headed out early (9:30) this morning. There were not too many Radio Taxis out at this hour on a Saturday morning but we finally got one and headed back to Recoleta.
We brought a bag of cat food because the Recoleta Cemetery is home to about 80 stray cats. We found some of them and gave them breakfast. There were many people touring the cemetery. The Cemetery is like a small version of the city and many of Argentina’s famous people in including Eva Peron (Evita) are buried there. It is amazing to see this cemetery amid a lovely park area with lots of shopping and restaurants around it.
We were too early for the flea market, so we took a walk down to the local Micky D’s and had a coffee at the McCafe - very fancy coffee for McDonalds. After 11:00 we checked out the weekend Flea Market, but didn’t buy anything. Then it was a long meandering walk back to Puerto Madero. Even though it is hot here there always seems to be a pleasant breeze and there are so many trees that provide welcome shade. Also in the shade was a 1959 Ford Falcon station wagon - first one I have seen in many years.
We had a light lunch at the apartment and a mid afternoon siesta. Went to dinner at 8:00 p.m. - early for here, most locals don’t eat until 10:00 PM. The restaurant, La Bistecca, in Puerto Madera was just opening. We were pleasantly surprised at the food and the service was also great. They all spoke English and it was easier than we thought to navigate because the menu was in English. Basically the waiter takes your wine and desert order and keeps you supplied with fresh cutlery as you go from station to station. The décor is very nice and even though it is a very large restaurant they have the dining areas broken down to smaller intimate areas.
This is an all-you-can-eat establishment, locally called a Tenedor Libre, with a four-course dinner ranging for $16. If you have come to Argentina to try the country's beef, this is the place. The meat is very high quality and there really was no limit to the number of times we could fill our plates. This is the place to go when you are really hungry. There is also a very diverse salad bar this salad bar had everything you could want; in fact if you didn’t like meat, you could easily eat a meal here. Since we are meat eaters we sampled the beef, chicken and sausage, which were all excellent. To top it off, we had a great desert - have you ever had lemon ice cream in champagne? I have to say, it was different.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb