Fair Winds


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
August 9th 2007
Published: November 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires or Fair Winds is by a long way the most cosmopolitan city in South America. Wandering around it´s beautiful buildings over our first few days we found a distinctly European feel and appearance to the city. Wide avenues, cafe society, green parks and fabulous architecture in every direction.

The beautiful suburb of Boca became famous when the poor shipyard workers that were in residence there began painting their corrugated iron homes with leftover paint from their boats. They would often not have enough of the same colour to complete their home so began using their walls as a canvas to liven up the neighbourhood. Now the suburb is also well known for the world famous Boca Juniors Football team. We were lucky enough to get to a game that didn´t end in violence or a camera theft and were amazed by the atmosphere of the place. So much energy and enthusiasm, rumour has it that if you stop cheering for a moment or pay the other team a compliment you will be set upon by the fans!

BA is of course famous for it´s party life. The party here doesn´t start until 1am and it isn´t over
El ObeliscoEl ObeliscoEl Obelisco

The Obelisk in central BA is situated on the widest road in the world.
until the sun is well visible over the horizon. We concluded that when in BA we must do as BAen´s do so we visited the biggest club in the City, Pacha for a fabulous and very amusing night out. All of the beautifully dressed young people of BA wear sunglasses inside the clubs and all dance in time to what we dubbed the BA shuffle. Very cool indeed!

The shopping in Buenos Aires is draw-droppingly good. Not only do you get brand names for a song, but there is a plethora of talented designers making original and great quality clothing for next to nothing. Needless to say after our long suffering efforts at trying to buy trendy clothes in the delightfully 3rd world western half of the continent, we spent days and days trawling through the avenues for clothes and shoes to send home - what joy for we sad consumers!

Speaking of consuming... the food. Boy oh boy, the food here was too fantastic for words. ENORMOUS thick juicy steaks with fabulous salads, garnishes and sauces; Finally truly good bread, the first we´ve found on the continent; the cakes and handmade chocolates - Rachel´s eyes popped out
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

Port suburb La Boca, full of artisans, cafes and other assorted tourist traps. Still a lovely place to visit.
of her head around every corner and their two other specialties, homemade ice-cream and coffee... I guess we´ll be starting our diet in the next country, Bolivia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Boca StadiumBoca Stadium
Boca Stadium

The fans adorn the stadium in blue and yellow and sing in tune through the whole game - very special!
Boca StadiumBoca Stadium
Boca Stadium

Maradona has a box seat shown on the right hand side of this photo.
Kick AroundKick Around
Kick Around

Cazz having a kick around with Maradona in Boca.
Rache in BocaRache in Boca
Rache in Boca

Colourful Rachel in colourful Boca
Submarino´sSubmarino´s
Submarino´s

Our first (of many) Argentinian hot chocolate and cake sessions. Hot milk and a big chunk of chocolate, can´t be beaten!
Abrazos GratisAbrazos Gratis
Abrazos Gratis

This lovely fellow was giving out free hugs - we just had to oblige him.
High End ShoppingHigh End Shopping
High End Shopping

Beautiful wares at incredible prices.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb