Update


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 16th 2006
Published: November 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend's GameLast weekend's GameLast weekend's Game

That is tear gas that the riot police have fired into the visting teams crowd... Good Times!
Since it has been so long since I last wrote some blogs, I thought that I would provide a brief update on life in Bs.As.

The weather has been steadily improving and temperatures are getting hot. The weather patterns seems set in stone. One day of rain is followed by a cloudy day which is then followed by 7-10 days of sunny , blue skies. Over this time, temperatures slowly build from 20 degrees up to around 32 or 33. At this point, when the temperature is almost unbearable it will then rain and bring cooler times. All in all, it is really quite pleasant.

Research is going well and I am now more focused on soccer games and their crowds and street protests. There are many interesting similarities between the two groups of people and I am hopeful that the research will produce something worthwhile. Better yet, this shift in focus has allowed me to go to a soccer game every weekend, including one last weekend that ended in a riot, with police, tear gas and a water canon. Very cool, and no worries we (the home side’s crowd) were very safe the entire time. After the game was suspended because of the riot taking place in the visiting fan section, they make the home fans wait for over an hour before they open the exit doors. Interestingly enough, since this particular incident, the last in a string of violence in the soccer tournament, the league has invoked laws for the remainder of the tournament that will not allow visiting fans to enter the stadiums and have made it nearly impossible for anyone but the exiting season ticket holders to buy tickets to the remaining 4 games. Very interesting happenings.

Other than that, we attended our first Polo match last weekend. Good times and it fairly entertaining sport. In addition to the sport and the fancy crowd, there really is nothing wring with watching 8 ponies run around a field chasing a small white ball while sucking back 2 dollar Stella’s, I know my life is hard.

Other than that, still doing lots of research, reading and writing everyday and am looking forward to all of this formal work coming to an end. We have also booked a sweet place for the Christmas holidays for mine and Laurence’s parents and ourselves. It is what looks to be a sweet little resort attached to a winery that should prove fun. We are both looking forward to Christmas in Argentina. Hope all is well back home and that everyone is surviving the floods.

Lots of Love,

Jason



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



17th November 2006

nice job
Jason, trust you to pull this rabbit out of your hat. Let's see........soccer...........beer...............research???????? Take care......enjoy....I'm freezing my tush off in Toronto now you sod! Keith
21st November 2006

Nice Life
We all get to have our fun. Sounds great Jason. Enjoy! Auntie Julie

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb