Belize Final


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean » Gulf of Mexico
November 6th 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The ride on the tender was fun. My beautiful bride and I watched as the ship became small and distant. A beautiful site she is. The dark, Duke blue, water surrounding her as the sun lit on her starboard side. Soon we could hear the sound of the reggae music coming from port over the drone of the tender’s two outboard engines. .After 10 minutes we were on the dock, through the security gate and walking through the shops.

Shopping in Belize is like most of the other ports. There were lots of coffee cups, tee shirts, shot glasses, and average everyday people trying to make a living off the tourist. The one thing that stands out is the presence of thousands of fake purses and designer items. My beautiful bride being knowledgeable of fine purses can spot a fake from three blocks and she spotted many of them.

The tour director had been firm on his advice that you don’t go past the port gates unless you were on a tour. Going into town is NOT recommended. Belize is a very poor country with lots of crime. While in port we seen men trying to get the tourist to come to the black iron fence and talk to them. I figured I would take the cruise directors advice.

On the walk back to our tender we decided to stop and have a quick snack and a drink. The restruant was called “Mamasista” and was and outdoor restruant. This was perfect for my beautiful bride and my favorite pass time. People watching. My beautiful bride ordered a drink called a “Pi Mi” a strawberry concoction that tasted like a strawberry milkshake. I ordered a traditional “ Pina Colda” . We then ordered chips and salsa and for the next hour we watched as thousands of people walked by with fake purses and sunburns.

(Note: I am writing this using the laptop while sitting in a lounge area of the casino. My beautiful bride has recently found that she has a love for playing blackjack. I can see her now sitting at the blackjack table. By the look on her face it’s not going well..lol. However, I am still astounded at how beautiful she is. I am such a lucky man)

We boarded our tender at about 2:15 PM and waited for them to cast off. While waiting we saw our new friends Mitch and Barbara coming through security. As they approached we waived them over and chatted about the port and our experiences.

Overall Belize is not a destination I would travel to on purpose. Maybe once they get the crime under control it will be a better place to visit. Everyone we had contact with was friendly. However, you could still feel the uneasiness of the port.

Once onboard we grabbed a quick snack and off to the room for a nap. Maybe a quick kiss and a cuddle…na….just a nap.

The evening was consumed with chats with our friends, bingo, and of course a casino trip. We shall not discuss the casino trip any further :-)

After a late night snack we were off to bed. Actually early. I really must be getting old.

(As I close out this chapter the captain came on the speaker and said we were sailing just fifty miles off the coast of Cuba. I made a point to get up and take a look at this beautiful landscape. One day I hope to visit her and explore all she has to offer.)

Until Next time






Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb