How we're travelling weather-wise


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Irish Sea
April 10th 2012
Published: April 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Don, being one of the few passengers brave (or silly) enough to venture on to the ship’s deck, was filmed yesterday by the onboard BBC crew as he struggled to walk against the freezing, gale-force winds in a scene reminiscent of Scott of the Antarctic.

The weather here now is said to be colder than it was 100 years ago but there are less icebergs in these waters. There are two schools of thought on the reason: One says it’s due to the impact of global warming, but the other says temperatures were warmer 100 years ago and as a result, icebergs were breaking away from the Arctic and moving south. Because conditions are colder now, the ice hasn’t broken away.

While it would be fantastic to see an iceberg on this trip, at this point my goal is to just get through the trip without barfing. A chronic sea-sickness sufferer, I’ve made it through Day 1 at sea – just!

So to touch terra-firma again at Cobh was welcome in more ways than one! But … this morning we’ve ALL been issued with barf bags! There must be some rough weather ahead, so a trip to the medical centre for an injection may be first on my agenda today. We won’t see land again for another week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.6kb