St Lucia


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
February 22nd 2016
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.8941, -60.9686

Our plan was to rise earlier than normal this morning so that we can see the Pitons that are located near the southerly tip of St Lucia. These iconic twin mountains are the subject of many a holiday snap and as we are heading to Rodney Bay which is the north of the island we fear we might not see them. Alas, even though we went to bed early the ship is docked in Castries by the time we get up.

Slightly earlier tour time today and so we shower early and head to the Windjammer. I have cheesy scrambled eggs..a first. As usual we are early for our 8.15am meet time. It's almost impossible and unheard of for either of us to be late for anything. Peter and Patrick. P&P. Properly Punctual.

We meet Shanga our guide. A complete contrast from Rose in Barbados but what he lacks in experience and knowledge he more than makes up for in enthusiasm and fun. He gathers our small group of 12 and shepherds us onto our minibus. Its Independence Day here in St Lucia and a holiday so everything is closed just as it was in Barbados. Shanga advises that most people would have been out partying last last night but will spend today relaxing on the beaches. He explains the tour will be in 3 parts. Firstly the Segway Safari, then sightseeing and then to finish at Pigeon Island for the beach. At the beach there will be time for drinks and refreshments. Some lady pipes up from the back of the bus "will there be rum?" Jeez lady, it's the freakin Caribbean, what do you think?

The first part of our tour is a Segway Safari. We are slightly apprehensive as Ambrose, one of the Segway guides, talks us through how to use the Segway. It's all about balance and using your centre of gravity to operate. With the help of two other guides we are instructed how to mount, move forward, turn and dismount. Chad helps me and as soon as I mount I start rocking back and forth. He tells me to dismount and try again but to relax. It's easier the second time and I am soon travelling around the practice track with Peter.

We head out of the compound but make regular stops for Edwin, the resident botanist it seems, to explain all about the local flora. Like Ana in Grenada we hear all about the medicinal properties of plants, nuts and seeds. We leave the quiet road we are on and head into the rainforest. There is a well worn if somewhat bumpy track but its easy to traverse as our confidence on the segways increases. Going uphill and down requires some effort on my part but I manage it. After several stops. We dismount and climb to a small lake where we feed the resident fish. The guides take plenty of pictures of us all before they make some slight changes to the segways so we can go faster. We end up on the beach at Rodney Bay where we can get a drink before heading back to the compound. Very good fun.

After the sightseeing tour of the surrounding area we end up at Pigeon Island. As usual Peter and I find a bar that has two essentials. Cold beer and free wifi (wifi on Serenade is particularly bad). The bar is an old British colonial magazine storehouse (magazine as in munitions) that has been converted to a bar. It's nice and cool inside but has great views out over the rolling surf of the Caribbean Sea which is the opposite to the calm waters of Rodney bay not 200 metres distant. Half a dozen surfers are enjoying the large waves that are crashing toward the shoreline. We explore a bit more of Pigeon Island before heading back to the meeting point for the trip back to the ship.

We depart Castries on time with a couple of Margaritas for sailaway, apparently it is national or international Margarita day, not that we need an excuse. As we sail out westward before turning northward to pass by Martinique, Dominica & Guadeloupe on our way to Antigua the Pitons slide into view as we leave...result.

Serenade sails northwards as the full moon rises and bathes the Caribbean Sea in its soft glow. In the distance we can see the lights of Martinique pass by. We head to the Schooner Bar to meet the others and hear about there day which sounded fun as they took motorboats south to the Pitons and Soufriere. Dinner in the main dining room is very good again but again also pretty swift. Mine was a little fishy. Smoked Salmon Salad and Grilled Tilapia for me. Peter had the salmon and a shrimp cocktail then pork medallions. Dessert was a delicious banana and chocolate strudel for me and white chocolate cheesecake for Peter.

We have quick flutter in the casino and come out evens. We head up to the Vortex which is completely deserted, a glance down to the pool deck shows us where a lot of people are. They are watching Spectre on the big screen. We join them for the end of the movie before finishing the evening at the R Bar for a couple more drinks before bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb