Day 6 - Anegada Island


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
May 28th 2015
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 18.7266, -64.3727

We pulled up anchor off of Prickly Pear Island and headed off on the 12 mile sail to Anegada Island. Anegada is 13 miles long, with the highest point having an elevation of 26'. So, this was the first leg of the trip where we set out in the open water without being able to see land toward our destination. But, that was for a very short period of time. The visibility was great, as it has been the entire trip, but there were only light winds. So. We ended up motor sailing the entire way.

We had a fishing line dragging behind the boat with a little popper lure bouncing along the surface. About 8 miles into the crossing, Sheila asked our captain how we will know if a fish hits the lure (since the rod appeared pretty substantial). Bryan responded that you will hear the drag on the reel start to scream. Just as he said it, the reel started to scream! Sean masterfully landed a huge barracuda which we then released. It was a nice bit of excitement on the otherwise relaxing trip between islands.

After negotiating the narrow channel into Anegada Island, we dropped anchor around noon. After lunch, we rented an awesome emerald green minivan, with 92,000 miles of hard driving, and toured the many open air beach bars on the island.

Anegada is also on the fourth largest coral reef in the world, and the provider of most of the Caribbean lobster in the islands. We had a fantastic dinner ashore, at the Anegada Reef Restaurant, at a table on the beach, full of lobsters.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th May 2015

Boy, I could go for some blue water and some lobster right about now! Have a blast, Rachael

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb