Vacationing in Vanuatu


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu
November 29th 2010
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

it’s cold outside and at One Travel, we’re daydreaming about the faraway lands that creep into our thoughts when the virtual world at our fingertips keeps us from exploring the physical world outside.

Today’s travel fantasy takes us to Vanuatu, where high 70s to low 80s prevail and perfect tranquility contrasts the holiday hustle that’s happening at home. Ranked as one of Lonely Planet ‘s “Top 10 places to visit in 2011,” the South Pacific archipelago is hardly decipherable from the clusters of islands surrounding it. New Caledonia, Fiji, the Solomon Islands – they’re all seemingly identical in their geographical insignificance, but word on the street is that paradise resides there.

We’ve arrived in Vanuatu just in time. Sure, the heat and humidity may have increased a bit since October and showers are on their way, but it’s the season to get the best value on air service there. At more than 3,500 miles Southwest of Hawaii, getting to Vanuatu’s islands is an adventure in itself. We depart Los Angeles for Auckland, New Zealand and connect via Air Vanuatu to Port Vila, Vanuatu’s capital city situated on Efate island (yes, Survivor: Vanuatu was filmed there).

The Republic of Vanuatu comprises of 82 volcanic islands. But for now, we gladly explore the island that greeted us. We embark on a food crawl through Port Vila’s Chinese, French and traditional Melanesian dining establishments and are especially mesmerized by the meats and Lap-Lap. A bus ride later, we’re perusing through the markets and meander down to Eton beach for a swim in what is quite possibly the most transparent ocean we’ve ever seen.

Cut to nightfall and we’re off to Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu’s largest island. The culinary offerings aren’t quite like that of Efate, but that’s OK, because we’ve come here to explore the underwater world. Espiritu Santo is known for its exceptional diving – the most intriguing aquatic creatures can be found thriving within wrecks like The SS President Coolidge and sites like “Million Dollar Point.”

If only we could visit all 14 of Vanuatu’s inhabited islands! Alas, we end our jaunt on a hiking trail in Malakula that leads to a small, yet awe-inspiring waterfall. We reflect on the moments that led us to this place and the moments to come. In this pocket of the earth, a place explored by few, we have found paradise.

Adapted from Travelinhand.com , source onetravel.com

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb