Eye Candy


Advertisement
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu
March 24th 2009
Published: March 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

To make up for the photo-less entries past and photo-less entries to come. Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AldayerAldayer
Aldayer

This little guy is a rockstar. My little host brother Aldayer, ready for a swim and licking a squished Little Debbie's cake from the wrapper. It's probably the sweetest thing he's ever tasted in his life.
ChickensChickens
Chickens

These lovely ladies are helping me with the dishes by pecking out the last of my oatmeal from the saucepan. Little do they know, that saucepan will probably hold them someday...
AltarAltar
Altar

The altar and priest of the Anglican church during a wedding ceremony. Love those island flowers and custom sand drawings on the wall.
Wedding FeastWedding Feast
Wedding Feast

Huge laplaps prepared for a wedding.
Custom DanceCustom Dance
Custom Dance

The men and women dance custom for special events. These are some pictures from a dance at the wedding I wrote about.
Custom DanceCustom Dance
Custom Dance

Men, in this case fathers and grandfathers of the bride and groom, sometimes circle the dancers with arms raised.
Custom AnkletCustom Anklet
Custom Anklet

A special nut shell is hollowed out and strung around their ankles to keep the beat. The meat from the nut is said to be deadly if eaten by man or animal, so it is buried immediately after removed from the shell.
Local DrumLocal Drum
Local Drum

The leader of the dances keeps the beat with a stick and handheld drum of local materials
GeorgioGeorgio
Georgio

Another little buddy. This was the little guys' first custom dance.
Chief BeteChief Bete
Chief Bete

The chief talks to the crowd as the men huddle up for their next dance. Gotta love thos sunglasses.
Custom CostumesCustom Costumes
Custom Costumes

The costumes are made of local taboo leaves that the men earn according to their rank. Sometimes special costumes are made to resemble characters in the stories that the dances tell.
Re-hydratingRe-hydrating
Re-hydrating

Drinking a green coconut after a long walk in the hot sun.
Window LizardWindow Lizard
Window Lizard

Our house is also home to a few lizards and geckos.
Waterfalls!Waterfalls!
Waterfalls!

We take advantage of those ice cold falls on the really hot days.
Little Bro againLittle Bro again
Little Bro again

It's a good thing this kid doesn't know how cool he is.
Garden TimeGarden Time
Garden Time

Armed with the bush knife and ready to haul home the good stuff!
My "Mami"My "Mami"
My "Mami"

My host mom, Lily, in the water taro garden.
Taro BundlesTaro Bundles
Taro Bundles

Justin and Aldayer ready to head home with their taro bundles.
Coming DownComing Down
Coming Down

Walking down the hill from the taro garden "on top" with my host parents and Justin.
Scratching CoconutsScratching Coconuts
Scratching Coconuts

Justin and his host papa scratching coconuts to make coconut jam (tastes like caramel!)


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb