Tally-ho Maewo!


Advertisement
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu
October 31st 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Island DressesIsland DressesIsland Dresses

A clothesline full of the traditional island dresses, a.k.a. "mother hubbards."
We've got our site announcement - Maewo (pronounced like the crop milo, but with a "w")! Justin and I will be serving at a village/school (I'm not sure which yet) called Gambula. When we got the assignment, no one in our group had even heard of that island. I knew then that we were in for an adventure! We are in the capital right now preparing for a week long visit, namely picking up traditional gifts such as fabric, sugar, or dishes to present our new host family and the village chief.

The islands of Vanuatu are generally shaped like a "Y" and Maewo is like the top of the right branch. From what we have heard, it is tauted as among the most beautiful of islands full of waterfalls and rain. Water should not be a problem, except in its excess. We met a volunteer who is getting ready to finish her service there and she warned us that her skin had grown mold. Oh dear. Any home remedies for preventing/treating that one? The island has an airport that is often out of comission due to high rains. Our travel plans will probably include a flight to an island
Our Humble AbodeOur Humble AbodeOur Humble Abode

Yes, I get to wear the mother hubbards every once in awhile as well...
farther north with a drier airport followed by a boat ride to the island of Maewo.

Two others in our group are also going to the same island. We will be about a 1-2 hour truck ride apart. Justin and I will be replacing a volunteer who lives on the school grounds. That is about all we know so far. Luckily, we'll get to meet him this week and have bought him chocolate and picked up his mail in hopes to bribe some of his wisdom. We will also be getting to know our community, medical facilities, stores, and transportation options this week.

As our time in the training village draws to a close, we are spending lots of time with our host family. I wish we could pack them up and bring them along with us. A little incident that has morphed into a daily tradition now continues to brighten my day. Our host family have us custom names: Kaltafa and Leitafa, meaning man/woman of the mountain. They told us that in our more rural village we will stand out obviously like a mountain.

With the kids, Justin started getting them to repeat "Kaltafa numbawan!" which
Bride PriceBride PriceBride Price

The chief speaking. He is surrounded by the items being presented as payment for the bride.
was a huge hit! When that got old, one looked over to me and hollered, "Leitafa numba1, Kaltafa numba2!" Now, wherever we go where there are kids, we are greeted by a chorus of "Kaltafa numba1, Leitafa numba2! Leitafa numba1, Kaltafa numba2!" Lately, Justin has started bribing his followers with candy in hopes to reinforce his troops. I am always tickled at the creative cries of "Leitafa numba7, Kaltafa numba57!"

Last weekend we attended a bride price ceremony. This is a ceremony that takes place months or so before the wedding where the groom's family is literally paying for the bride. I was awe struck at how much stuff was exchanged for her, among them: mats, sugar, a bull, a pig, yams, bananas, rice, and fabric as well as actual money. The ceremony was largely made up of speeches from both the brides' family and grooms' family as well as the cheif. Afterwards, there was lots of food and of course, kava. People had come from three different islands to celebrate, which is quite a feat considering the little I do know about Vanuatu travel.

Another tradition that I captured in a picture is one that I hope to someday find to root of. During celebrations, Ni-Vans toss baby powder on each other on the back of the neck. The actual picture is ironic to me because the boy is wearing a Digicel (local cell phone company) T-Shirt while sporting a traditional mark of the bride price ceremony. I love the raw mix of technology and tradition! I am sorry to admit that my knowledge of this ceremony, and the wedding as well, is rather limited as of yet, hopefully more to come soon. Until then, enjoy the pictures.


Advertisement



1st November 2008

lime green??
I see your "mother hubbard" is a beautiful shade of lime green to match your crocs...planned?? or just fate?? Sounds like you are having a fantastic time. I'm so glad you two get to live out your dream together. I pray you stay safe and are able to keep learning much about each other and this area of the world. -Meghan
3rd November 2008

Wow -- what an experience you two are having. I really admire you for joining the Peace Corps. How rewarding it must be. We miss you and hope that you will be safe and stay healthy. God Bless You, Peace, Aunt Anne
3rd November 2008

Greetings
Hey there guys. Carol and Nicole have talked about your writings here so I took some time today to catch up on things in your world. As i read I am amazed at how much different your world there is different from the one we have here. I admire you for your advenutrousness and, yes, your courage. The rest of your life is changing because of the experiences you are going thru now. Thanks for relating your experiences to us back here. May God continue to bless you and keep you safe. Mike

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb