Tonga


Advertisement
Tonga's flag
Oceania » Tonga
April 10th 2003
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tonga was much cooler than Samoa. Although still hot, the heat was not so intense and I was not complaining about that! Below is a copy of my report:




The Kingdom of Tonga (also known as the Friendly Isles) consists of 171 islands (less than 40 are inhabited) and 4 main island groups: Tongatapu, Ha’apai, Vava’u and the Niuas. Tongatapu (population: 68,000) is the main island, constituting a third of Tonga’s land mass. A third of the island’s population lives in the capital, Nuku’alofa (population: 22,000). It has a cooler climate than Samoa.

Sport within Society background

As in other parts of the Pacific, Rugby Union is king. The rugby season is played in the Wet season from December to June. Rugby receives substantial funding ($500,000 per year) from the IRB.

Rugby league is also played from May to June, but suffers from poor administration. As in Samoa, Super League came with a lot of money but have done little since to help grow or develop the game. An example of this is that there is no junior rugby league competition.

Soccer is increasing in popularity as it receives substantial funding from FIFA (approximately US$1 million per year). In addition, all equipment and travel is funded.

The relative unpopularity of rugby league offers a golden window of opportunity for Australian football in Tonga. The advantages are:

1. Playing in the Dry season - more comfortable conditions for the players
2. Novelty factor - playing a new and exciting sport
3. Synergies with Rugby Union - promoting Australian football as a sport that can improve both their fitness and kicking skills

VISIT REPORT

My airfare was supplied FOC by Polynesian Airlines. Many thanks to John Fitzgerald, CEO of Polynesian Airlines.

Dates Thursday 10 April - Monday 14 April 2003
Flights Wednesday 9th April, PH745 Apia - Nuku’alofa (1.5 hours)
Monday 14th April, PH855 Nuku’alofa - Sydney (4 hours)

Key Contacts

Mark Korsten President, TAFA
Tim Valente Treasurer, TAFA
Sitiveni Finau Secretary General, Tonga Amateur Sports Association
Robert Gardner Third Secretary, Australian High Commission
Molisoni Otukolo Polynesian Airlines

Visit Overview

My trip to Tonga followed on from my visit to Samoa. Details of the Samoa visit can be found at www.iafc.com.au/samoarep2.html

The purpose of the visit was to meet officials from the Tonga Australian Football Association (TAFA) and provide them with much needed equipment, including jumpers, footballs, field markers, portable goalposts and manuals.

Upon arrival at Fua'amotu International Airport (losing a day after crossing the International Dateline) I was met by Mark Korsten, with whom I was staying. I Friday I met with officials from the Tonga Australian Football Association (TAFA), Australian High Commission and the Tonga Amateur Sports Association. On Saturday I also attended a training session of the Tongan national team and a social function later that evening. The final day was spent gaining some much needed rest on the highly recommended resort island of Pangaimotu.

Australian Football Report
Overview

The driving force behind Australian football in Tonga is Mark Korsten. He is currently employed by the Australian Government on a defence project and arrived in Tonga in January 2003.

Mark is 36 and has been with the Australian Navy for 18 years. Originally from Geelong and a passionate Cats supporter, he played footy between the ages of 8 to 21.

When he arrived in Tonga he contacted the Australian High Commission to see if they had any Australian football contacts. He was given a copy of an email from the IAFC (which I sent out in January 2002) asking for any interested people to get in touch with the IAFC. Mark got in touch with the IAFC soon after.

At the Australia Day function at the Australian High Commission Mark and Tim Valente discussed the prospect of introducing Australian football to Tonga. Tim is 39 and is the Head of Lending at the ANZ Bank in Samoa. He is from Adelaide and has been in Tonga for two years. He played reserves footy for Sturt and North Adelaide in the SANFL.

“The next day we ran into each other in the street, looked each other in the eye and asked each other if we were serious. The following week we went down to the National Rugby Stadium and had a kick. A Tongan approached us at the end of the session and asked us what we were up to. He turned up the following week. We started to get more and more players turning up. Although the numbers varied, the pool was increasing. In one week we went from 12 to 22. We only had one footy, which was about 20 years old. It was starting to get serious”, said Mark.

There is no denying Mark’s passion for the world’s greatest game. Whilst in Tonga I had the opportunity to observe some of his recruiting techniques. On one occasion we picked up two hitchhikers on the condition that they came to training. Another instance was when one of the locals came to his house and asked for a glass of cold water. He was told he could have one if he came to training. Ten minutes later he returned to the house with another two locals interested in playing.

Administration

The controlling body is the Tonga Amateur Sports Association (TAFA). It has recently become a member of the Tonga Amateur Sports Association, the umbrella body for all the sports in Tonga.

The TAFA Executive Committee consists of the following people:

President Mark Korsten
Vice President Geoff Mort
Vice President Molisoni Otukolo
Secretary Jo Leeson
Treasurer Tim Valente
Member Ian Hutchinson
Member Gordon Layard
Member James Mackenzie
Member Sila Vaenuku

There are 9 people on the committee, although in reality the bulk of the workload is carried by Mark and Tim. Further, Tim is moving back to Australia in June 2003, so TAFA needs to find people who are willing to share the workload.

TAFA’s aim is to maintain a committee that includes a good mix of males/females & Tongans/Palangis (expats). It is planned to hold meetings once a month.

Finances

To get itself up and running TAFA has been holding fundraising nights, as well as conducting a tipping competition.

The tipping competition is online (www.oztips.com.au, COMP No. 28429, Password TAFA) and currently has 23 participants. Participants pay $5 per week or $100 for the whole season.

The fundraising nights are held at Mark’s place and are very well run. Consisting of a BBQ and AFL match shown on television, food and drinks are sold to raise funds for TAFA.

Senior Competition

The inaugural footy season will be held from April to September (the Dry season). TAFA is aiming to have six teams playing nine-a-side football. Squads will consist of 13 players (nine on the field plus four reserves). In addition, every team will be required to supply two officials.

Training is held twice a week - on Wednesdays at Apifo’ou oval and on Saturdays at Siátoutai Theological College.

A nine-a-side competition is definitely the way to go. It is a lot easier to assemble a squad of 9 players together than 18, for example. More importantly, however, is the fact that Tonga and other parts of the Pacific possess an abundance of rugby fields. These can easily be converted into Australian football fields by placing portable behind posts on either side of the rugby posts.

Junior Competition

TAFA plans to run a junior competition in the future for the Under 16 age group. There is no doubt that this is the way to go as it creates a pathway to the senior competition. As in Samoa it would be pointless to have an Under 18 competition as most Polynesians have the body types to play in senior competition at 16 or 17.

National Team

The Tongans have a great rivalry with Samoa (which is only 890 km away) and are hoping to play an international match against them in Tonga in October 2003. This would be fantastic if it eventuates.

Once Australian football is established in Fiji, the Tongans would like to participate in an annual Tri-Nations Series with Fiji and Samoa. This would be a great carrot for all involved and makes a lot of sense. It costs a lot of money to visit Australia and it is far more economical to play an international match in Fiji or Samoa.

TAFA also intends sending a team to compete in the 2005 International Cup in Melbourne. Their national colours are red and white and they are looking at incorporating the national flag, which features a cross, on their jumper.

Can Tongans play Australian football? As I have outlined in other reports, the potential in the Pacific is enormous.

Molisoni Otukolo is one of the players who has recently taken up the game. He has represented Tonga in rugby league and basketball and is built like the proverbial brick structure. He wants to play for Hawthorn.

Sila Va’enuku is the current Rugby 7s vice-captain, having just returned from playing in the Hong Kong 7s. Another player, Winkum, will be representing Tonga in the 100m at the 2003 South Pacific Games in Fiji.

Saineha Lautaimi is another Tongan rugby league international and looks like he eats glass for breakfast. Likewise, Lotu Tonga, who, whilst playing rugby came across an opponent who attempted to tackle him. The would-be tackler died on the field.

These blokes simply love the physical contact. They may lack the skills now, but this will change as they learn the game.

Coach Development

At the moment coaching duties are performed by Mark and Tim. The training session I attended was very well run, with a good mix of skills and fitness.

Umpires

As with coaching there is not much to report here as TAFA has only recently been established. As outlined above, TAFA plans to ask each team to supply two officials. They will need to be taught the basics of umpiring and it is recommended that an umpiring clinic be conducted later this year.

TAFA is particularly keen not to repeat the mistakes that have been made in Australia, where it is traditional to bag the umpire. They are keen to see umpires treated with the same respect in footy as they are in rugby. Some of their initiatives are:

1. Umpires will be referred to as Sir by the players.
2. The Captain of a team is the only player that can question an umpire’s decision.
3. A sendoff rule will apply.
4. Both Captains will shake hands and thank the umpire at the end of the game.

Facilities

TAFA has secured a playing field at Siátoutai Theological College. It is a good sized oval field and is in excellent condition. TAFA plans to play their international match against the Samoans here.

The playing venues will be Apifo’ou oval, Siátoutai Theological College and any village that has a rugby field.

Media Coverage

To date there has been virtually no media coverage of TAFA’s efforts in Tonga. This is a deliberate strategy, as they are reluctant to attract participants whilst they lack the resources to meet the demand.

Although not shown on free to air television (TV Tonga), AFL matches are shown on Tonfon, which is basically a Pay TV service. It costs $40 per month and features 3-5 matches per week. Matches are shown on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays at either 2am or 6pm.

Development Officer

The Australian Youth Ambassadors for Development Program (AYAD) is funded by AusAID and is managed by Austraining International.

AYAD places skilled young Australians, aged 18-30, on short-term assignments (3-12 months) in developing countries throughout Asia and the Pacific. Tonga is one of the countries listed as eligible to receive Youth Ambassadors.

In conjunction with TAFA, the IAFC is in the process of identifying and sending to Tonga an Australian Football Development Officer to assist TAFA in developing footy in Tonga.

The way that the process works is this. As the Australian Partner Organisation (APO), we are required to identify a Host Organisation (i.e. TAFA) with whom we already have links. The Host must be located where the assignment is based and is to assist the Youth Ambassador during their placement.

There are 4 steps that the APO is required to undertake when developing an assignment:
1. To identify a suitable Host Organisation (TAFA).
2. To identify a need in the Host Organisation (development).
3. To develop an Assignment Proposal (IAFC & TAFA to develop jointly).
4. To identify a Youth Ambassador with the skills to fulfil the assignment objectives (IAFC to identify a suitable candidate).

The beauty of AYAD is that they provide the funding for the person, which is approximately $1000-$1500 per month. Airfares are also provided.

Whilst in Tonga the IAFC and TAFA developed an Assignment Proposal and job description.

CONCLUSION

Mark Korsten, Tim Valente and others have done a great job in a short space of time. Their drive, determination and vision is to be not only commended, but applauded.

As in other parts of the Pacific the potential is enormous and must be encouraged at all costs. The Tongans have the strength, hardness and desire to play our game at the highest level. They may lack the skills, but Rome wasn’t built in a day either.

I would like to thank the President of the Hawthorn Football Club, Ian Dicker, who personally paid for 20 Hawthorn jumpers to assist the development of Australian football in Tonga. Both the IAFC and TAFA are very appreciative of his assistance.

To those of you in Tonga, thank you for making my first visit to Tonga a memorable experience. I had a great time and look forward to my next visit. Malo ’aupito.

Brian Clarke
April 2003





Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb