Mangaiti Gully/Park - time to go for a walk


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
July 21st 2016
Published: July 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

If you have time for a walk, and want to go somewhere full of plants and birds within the city, try visiting Mangaiti. It is part of Hamilton's gully system, with many streams and well laid out paths to follow. It is very popular with locals in the summer who use it for walking or riding their bikes, but is often empty during winter.





The paths are all nice and flat, with netting on top of the boards which helps prevent them from becoming slippery. However, in the middle of winter, the moss can still be a bit of a problem in some areas.





Would I recommend the park if you are going to be pushing a wheelchair or stroller? No. Okay, the paths are good but the netting makes them rough and noisy for anything with wheels.





Notes:

Dogs - keep them on a lead at all times for their safety as the park usually has poison laid in it. Also remember that this is an area where wildlife is returning and needs to be protected so dogs running loose is not acceptable and
Poison warningPoison warningPoison warning

Keep dogs on a lead at all times - both for their protection and the protection of the wildlife in the park.
this is not a dog friendly park.

Kids - paths to explore, maybe even a playground if you start/end in the right place.

Wildlife - keep an eye open (or maybe an ear) for birds, especially tui. We had an inquisitive tui follow us all round the park.

Ducks - this is one of my favourite reasons for visiting the park: there are NO annoying/demanding ducks in it!!!

Geocaches - there are a couple to be found here. Send the kids to find the one at the entrance.

Munzees - there are a couple here. You might need to keep a tight grip on your cellphone for 1 of them.

Parking - I park on the grass in the centre of Brookview Court, walk along Hukanui Rd and cross quickly as the traffic moves at high speed along this stretch of road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb