New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
February 4th 2014
Published: February 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

February 4

New Zealand

General comments

This has been a great 8 days in New Zealand. We saw a lot of the south Island and we suspect there is a lot more to see with more time, and ambition.

It would be hard to find a more beautiful place with all the mountains, rivers, huge valleys and miles of beautiful coastline. Even though we are from Canada and live near the mountains we were still impressed. They powers that be have done a great job in protecting this resource with many parks and reserves. Also many places to camp and stop along the way. Train trips are an option but we like the driving idea as you have a lot more flexibility. Keep in mind driving is on the left side of the road. We did some back tracking that could have been avoided or minimized with some more detailed planning. Not a big problem.

We were a little surprised to hear and see very little about the Polynesian history here, except the places names. ( many names are obviously Polynesian ). Many years ago on a visit to the North Island we remember a lot of talk and pride in the Maori history. Iā€™m sure on a guided tour more information would be available.

Hotels and B+B accommodation are good and priced fairly. They have to get with the real world with the internet charges as most places charge ( up to 29.00 / day ) with some offering a few minutes free in the lobby but not in your room. Always wise to ask about included items like Internet, breakfast and car parking before making bookings. Most items are priced a little high compared to what we are used to. Keep in mind we were mostly in tourist areas so that can be expected.

The people in New Zealand are friendly, easy going and very helpful and always make you feel welcome. English ( sort of ) language makes it easier for those who speak English.

Food is good ( a little expensive in restaurants ) and varied with great lamb ( surprise, surprise ), a lot of venison and good beef. Almost ever kind of food you can think of is served here.

This is a great place for a vacation and now with direct flights from LAX for those in North America. The world is getting smaller !!



This is a wonderful place to visit and should be put on the ā€œ Bucket List. ā€œ

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb