New Zealand! Skydives, bungy jumps, meeting up with old friends and walking on Glaciers.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
July 17th 2011
Published: July 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Afternoon, lots has happened so its a bit of a long blog, but worth a read!

Our flight to Auckland from Cairns went without hassle, Hevs and I watched "The Town" which was pretty decent. We went to go and get the keys for our hire car from the info center (the hire car's office was shut) and went outside to the car park. When we found the car I was surprised at how nice it was, a Mitsubishi Lancer in good nick, really good considering the price we paid (If you ever need a car rental in NZ check out Ace Car Rentals!). Another interesting point about the car was that it has an automatic gear box, something I haven't used before but it has been quite relaxing not having to change gear over all the hills and turns. We had booked a hostel in Taupo for the evening (a 4 hour drive from Auckland) so as it was already 6pm we set off sharpish down the state highway. We got to Taupo with relative ease but when we got to the hostel we couldn't find the key they had left out for us (office was shut as it was around 10pm) which meant standing out in the cold until we could get someone's attention, it didn't take too long though and all was well.

The next day we drove further south to Wellington which is at the southern end of the North Island, we had lots we wanted to do in the South Island so we thought it best to get down there as soon as possible and use any remaining time to see the North Island. We checked into a hostel recommended by a friend called Wellywood which was cool from the outside (building was painted like a cow) but pretty grim on the inside, the beds had loads of long hairs in them and it was just a bit crap in general. We had noticed a considerable temperature drop compared to Oz and we didnt really have the right clothing for the colder weather so we went out to go and get some warm clothes, I managed to pick up a hoody, hat and gloves for $60 which was pretty good! We then booked the Blue Bridge Ferry over to the south island for the next day, this was a bit of a shock as we found out it costs $220 each way! But there was no way we were going to miss the South Island so we had to grin and bear it....

So the next day we caught the ferry and then drove straight down to Kaikoura where I had planned to meet up a friend (Hatti) who I hadn't seen for 7 years since she moved out here. It was so good to see her again! She lives on a farm with her boyfriend and their adorable 6 month old daughter named Ella. We stayed for 3 nights and it was so nice to be back in a house for the first time in 3 months. One day we went down to a car park where loads of seals hang out and the other we took a walk down to the beach, the rest of the time was spent catching up, relaxing and watching DVDs. It was really nice to just stop and forget travelling for a couple of days (there's a lot to think about each day you know!)

On the morning after the 3rd night at Hatti's Hevs and I took the long 8 hour drive to Queenstown. After Christchurch (which we decided to skip due to all of the quake damage) we headed off the highway inland over the mountains, the scenery was magnificent but the roads were a little sketchy due to recent snowfall. At one point we saw a sign saying "Snow chains essential" but we didn't have any so we just decided to carry on, it was a bit dodgy at points (especially with an autobox) but we managed it with relative ease (might have been a different kettle of fish if Hevs was at the wheel!) We later found out that if we had been stopped we may have got a $700 fine for driving without chains in the car on a road labelled "chains essential"!! We made it to Queenstown where we checked into our hostel, Dave and Sarah were also staying at the hostel (5th time we have crossed paths since the start of the trip!). We went into town to book activities for the next day, I booked the 134m Nevis Bungy Jump (the highest in Australasia!), Dave and Sarah booked the Nevis Swing (a huge arc swing across the canyon) and Hevs decided it was best if she came along to watch (due to a fear of heights). That night we met up with a friend who is working a season in Queenstown and went for a few drinks in Buffalo bar which was alright, Hevs got hit on by a guy who loved the fact she had a reindeer on her jumper... strange chat up line?!

The next day it was time for the bungy, I was excited and apprehensive at the same time, but couldn't wait for the adrenaline rush I had heard so much about. We had heard so much about a burger place in town called Fergburger so we went and had lunch there, it was the best burger I had ever eaten hands down! On very full stomachs the four of us got our shuttle out to the bungy canyon. Dave and Sarah did their swing first which they thoroughly enjoyed, Hevs was terrified as the launch pad was across a bridge over the canyon, but she managed to keep it together to take a few pics of Dave and Sarah so it was ok. It was then time for my bungy jump. We all got in a tiny gondola over to the jumping off station which is suspended above the centre of the canyon. The staff were blaring out "Firestarter" on the speakers which helped me get psyched up. Although there were lots of others waiting in the station I was told that I was next! so I had my equipment attached and the next thing I knew I was getting the bungy cord strapped to my feet and waddling over to the edge!!! I struggle to remember exactly what happened (despite buying the dvd!) next but I remember the feeling of the freefall directly after I jumped, it was an incredible rush but I was sure glad when the bungy began to tighten, I remember thinking in the freefall that if the bungy didnt get attached properly I was definitely dead! For some reason my release cord which usually puts you in the seated position didnt work so I had to be brought back up to the station upside down. I was buzzing after the jump and was so glad I had done it! If you are ever in NZ make sure you do the Nevis, its extremely fun and rewarding! That night we went out again to a few different bars and even got to listen to a decent dubstep set from the DJ at world bar, much needed!!

The next day we were all a little hungover so we didn't do that much apart from decide we weren't going to ski in Queenstown due to dodgy weather and really long queues at the lifts and buses (its currently kids holidays out here and snow has just fallen so everyone wants to get up the mountains). I had also hoped to do white water rafting in Queenstown but I'm beginning to run low on funds so some things have to be cut and put off to a later date, this was one of them...

Because we decided to skip skiing we left Queenstown a day earlier than planned and took the 1.5hour drive to Wanaka. Dave and Sarah had already been to Wanaka and thought the YHA looked decent so we inquired and ended up getting a really nice room with 2 double beds for the price of dorms... result! We booked a skydive for the afternoon which we were all really excited for but high winds called it off so we went to a place called Puzzling World which ended up being a good afternoon, lots of optical illusions and an awesome maze which we did Girls vs Boys on, naturally the girls cheated and Dave and I were victorious :-). That night we went to the video store and rented 127 hours and unstoppable, both pretty decent!

So our skydive got rescheduled for 11am and we woke up to brilliant blue sky (the first we had seen in about 4 days). We got a phone call at 10am telling us they had had a cancellation and we were being picked up early due to perfect conditions. The reality of the skydive then set in, everyone was buzzing, even Hevs who had backed herself and booked one to prove she wasn't a wuss! We arrived at the airport and Hevs, Dave and Sarah decided to get their dives video'd. After being suited up we were introduced to our instructors. Mine was a cool dutch guy who had racked up 5500 skydives! We got in the tiny plane and began the 12000ft ascent (we decided the extra 3000ft for $100 wasn't worth it). The scenery was absolutely amazing from above, I was so glad we had managed to get the dive done in Wanaka! As we got close to 12000ft we got attached to our instructor, Hevs was surprisingly calm which I was surprised at, she has got so much better with flying since we have been away! Although when that plane door flew open and she got close to the edge she started screaming, I knew she wanted to do it though and she did amazingly for someone scared of planes and flights! I was last and the first few seconds out of the plane were similar to the bungy, pretty scary! After that though the remaining 40 seconds of freefall were incredible (if a little cold....-25c!!) and after the parachute opened I had the most amazing scenery to gaze at as we descended. I can't really say which experience I preferred more, the bungy was scarier and therefore brought more adrenaline but the skydive was so fun and had breathtaking views, if I had to pick one it would probably be the skydive... close call though!

After the skydive, Dave Sarah Hevs and I drove in convoy to Franz Josef (4 hours away on the west coast of the south island) where we booked a glacier walk for the following day. We checked into a backpackers place and managed to get 2 private rooms for the same price as staying in dorms... even better than at Wanaka! The next morning we woke up for the walk, we headed to the office to get kitted up with some gear, I was using a pair of boots which Hatti's boyfriend had lent me which were awesome... cheers Rob! We got a bus to the start of the tour and began the walk to the start of the ice, it looked really close but it took 40 mins to reach the base of the glacier (which demonstrated how huge the glacier and the valley were). Once we got to the ice we put our cramp on's on which was cool and began to take a look at some of the caves and tunnels etc. our guide was pretty good and let us get a little further up the glacier than most 1/2 day trips go. Eventually it was time to go back but we had had great fun checking out some unfamiliar territory. After we got back we headed to some local hot pools, entry was included in the price of the walk so it would have been rude not to! After a long day we retired pretty early.

Yesterday was mostly spent driving (its a pretty big country!). We drove back to the east coast and are again staying at Hatti's house (house sitting currently as she and her boyfriend are away for the weekend). The plan was to go skiing today to the local club ski field but it ended up being quite far away from Hatti's house and it would have been a pricey day so we decided to give it a miss. Dave and Sarah left us earlier to go and explore the North Island but Hevs and I are staying in Kaikoura till Tuesday, we will then spend one night in Taupo again before having 2 nights in Auckland to explore the city. On Friday we fly to Fiji which we are both really excited about, we are staying at two resorts on the outer islands which look amazing... I can't wait!!

I realise its been a long blog but at least its been better than the previous entry which I wrote when I was very tired!

Bye for now!

James

Advertisement



17th July 2011

Re: Bungee and skydive.
Insane. Totally barking; both of you. xx

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb