Christmas in New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
December 31st 2007
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sandra's parents came to visit, and we all went to New Zealand for Christmas and New Year. We only had two weeks, so conducted a flying tour of the highlights of both the North and South Island: We started in the North Island - a boat trip around Auckland Harbour, and visit to the beautiful Cormandel Peninsula. We walked to Cathedral Cove and paddled in the (cold) waves before heading on to Rotorua, where we took to the hot springs geo-thermal parks and admired the amazing coloured, steamy (and smelly) pools and caves at Wai-o-Tapu thermal reserve. From Rotorua it was onto Taupo, and an great lake-front apartment for Christmas itself. The rain and high winds prevented us from walking the Tongoriro Crossing (we'll just have to go back...), but we did finally get a clear view of the mountains as we drove south to Wellington and waved godbye to the volcanic North Island, aboard the notoriously bumpy Cook Strait ferry.

Once safely on the South Island we headed for Kaikoura, via a few wine tastings in the Marlborough region. In Kaikoura we swam with the dusky dolphins (fabulous! And not as cold as Simon feared...despite being "practically in the
New Year's EveNew Year's EveNew Year's Eve

The view from our balcony in Queenstown
Antarctic") and saw several Albatros. Then it was on to Lake Tekapo, where the hire car packed up (possibly in protest at all the luggage). While we waited for a replacement to roll over the mountains on the back of a truck, we walked up Mount John and admired the snow capped peaks. Once we had wheels again, we continued to Twizel and then to Queenstown for New Year's Eve and saw in 2008 aboard the Steamer TSS Earnshaw. After a few days in Queenstown, we continued to Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula, for some penguin watching and sea-kayaking. Then it was back to Christchurch and home... Phew!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Christmas Day!Christmas Day!
Christmas Day!

At Huka Falls, Lake Taupo
The summit of Ben LomondThe summit of Ben Lomond
The summit of Ben Lomond

Yes, it was windy up there...


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb