New Zealand: South Island Adventures (Part 2)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
October 11th 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

10/4-10/11

We continued our South Island journey heading to Queenstown, driving with our newly made Canadian friends, Karen and Kenny. We spent the next few days in Queenstown, the self appointed "adventure capital" of New Zealand. Although I think the whole country is one big extreme sport. Andrew took advantage of all adrenaline raising options and decided to bungy jump off the 2nd highest platform in the world (1st is in South Africa). I thought sky diving was enough life threatening fun for one week, so I opted out. However, I took the gondola ride out to the suspension platform, which hovers 134 meters (440 ft) over a gorge, where the jump occurs. I have never seen Andrew so terrified, but when it was his turn to jump he bravely (or stupidly depending on your view) dove off the side. He screamed the entire way down and once back on the platform trembled for a good 5 minutes. Apparently those are signs of enjoyment because he loved it and wants to do it again.

While in Queenstown we also took a 360 degree spinning jet boat ride and were luckily warned to go on an empty stomach. It was
Before the jumpBefore the jumpBefore the jump

notice the tiny platform hovering in the distance
pretty crazy to see how they have turned up the energy on just about every activity here...even going for a boat ride. We also found ourselves on a steep paved mountain track, luging (which is a sport where a person slides on a plastic sled with wheels and handlebar) to the bottom.

With all the extreme activities I was quite excited to go on a nice long hike. We chose to go on the Ben Lomond trail which offers spectacular views once at the top. At the summit there were incredible panaramic views of mountain ranges in the distance, a beautiful sight on a clear day. The whole trek took about 6 hours but it was worth every minute. I can say this now in retrospect of course. After all these crazy activities, I started to feel old age creeping in because every muscle in my body hurt and we both needed a day of rest.

We decided to head to the Otago wine region because we couldn't pass up the opportunity of sampling some more NZ local wines. We were having a nice ordinary breakfast at a cafe in town, when in walked a stark naked man
After the jumpAfter the jumpAfter the jump

Happy with the realization he is still alive.
(except for a long appropriately placed sock). We were immediately reminded of bizarre advertisements we had seen earlier in the week, for the Annual National Nude Day celebration. We didn't have any more spottings of these outgoing Kiwis since no one else appeared to recognize their patriotic duty in the uppity wine region. However, Karen and Kenny stayed back in Queenstown for the day and witnessed many more exhibitionists, including Kenny who couldn't resist a 50% discount on nude bungy jumping.

They recounted his courageous but chilly tale in the car ride to Christchuch. We dropped them off just before the city and said an envious goodbye as they have a few more months ahead of them to enjoy New Zealand. We drove on to Christchurch, which is the biggest city on the South Island, and our final stop in NZ. Andrew heard that the relatively nearby Mt. Hutt was the only remaining ski slope open in the country so late in the season. Needless to say we spent the next day snowboarding. It was at Mt. Hutt that I made my big breakthrough on the snow...turning on purpose. It was a major highlight for both of us I am sure.

We went back to Christchurch that evening and spent the next few days going to the impressive Botanical Gardens, great museums, outdoor markets and enjoying the feel of the city. We also took a long hike in Lyttleton, a small town overlooking Christchurch. The hike ran across the ridge line of an inactive volcano crater, offering views of the ocean on one side and Christchurch on the other. The fantastic view made it a memorable experience.

We headed for Australia feeling so grateful to have seen New Zealand and knowing that even though it is on the opposite side of the world from New York, we will absolutely be back to see more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

CowsCows
Cows

...just cute scenery along the way
ChristchurchChristchurch
Christchurch

British impressioned city


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb