George and Richard


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
November 8th 2016
Published: November 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Just to prove that naming one'side vehicle is not that unusual... note the picture of our water taxi transport at Abel Tasman. Sensible name too!
So, with wifi improved... I hope.... back to our return taxi journey from walking in Abel Tasman. While we had been walking, the weather had got a bit blustery with some showers, but beneath the trees canopy did not cause us any bother. We waited on (yet another) deserted beach for our return taxi.... and waited.... and waited.... until half an hour late it finally came into view.
Despite trying twice, the skipper was unable to anchor in the now rough sea and get close enough to shore to get us on board. He signalled we should head to the other end of the bay. Just to explain that getting on and off the taxi involves wading knee deep into the water, so boots and socks were already off in anticipation and hiking trousers rolled up.... how elegant we looked! Well it obviously did the trick, because from nowhere a handsome young kiwi on a quad bike appeared and offered mother a lift! Quick as a flash, she jumped on the back and was off to the taxi now moored in a quiet inlet.
Safely on board, the skipper did brave battle with the waves and huge swell .... the boat taking off from each crest and landing with an almighty thump.... after 40 minutes of clinging on to the handrail, seat and each other.... I've never been so glad to be back on solid ground and see the solid reliable Richard!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb