Queenstown Capital of FUN


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 25th 2015
Published: February 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Lake WakatipuLake WakatipuLake Wakatipu

Queenstown is just round the corner!
22nd to 24th February

Our first sighting of Queenstown was at the bottom of Lake Wakatipu, New Zealand second largest, and it's peaceful setting belies the real character of the city of Queenstown. It offers the visitor plenty of action, paragliding, canyon swing, bungee jump, jet boat ride, and in winter, skiing and snowboarding and visitors take advantage all day long, then they move on to eating and drinking with the same enthusiasm. This is the first place we have been that the supermarket is open 24 hours a day - this is definitely the FUN capital of New Zealand.

Within an hour of finding our campsite, right in town, Chris had used up the weekly budget on booking several action activities!

Next day we were up early to catch a minibus to take us up the Skippers canyon road, a historic track left over from the gold rush period. Hire cars are not allowed to go up this one way mountainous track, what a trip! We then got on jet boats which went up the Upper Shot Over river, at great speed, with lots of spins, great fun!

After a few hours in the sun at the campsite, we headed off for our evening cruise down the lake on the TSS Earnslaw, a 1912 twin screw steamer, built in Dunedin and in service from that time.

Next day up early again, for Chris to catch the first bus to the Glen Nevis bungee jump site, 134m high, the heighest in New Zealand, with an 8 second free fall - we have the certificate!

Helen enjoyed some quieter time, with a walk round the botanic gardens, some shopping, and a coffee and cake, have we mentioned the cakes in New Zealand? Worth the trip alone.

Advertisement



26th February 2015

Howdy!
Hey M, wow - now that looks absolutely stunning! Glad you're being kept busy and adhering to your busy schedule...it really all sounds fantastic - what's the weather like?? Got your lovely card this morning :) thank you! Love you loads...Murdo :) xxx
26th February 2015

Howdy
Weather bit rainy on the weat Coast but drys up quick. Now in Nelson 10am and scorchio!! Apparently Nelson is the sunniest part of the South Island. Hxx

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb