TranzAlpine Rail Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
November 2nd 2014
Published: November 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post


Views from the open carriage
Took the TranzAlpine rail route from Christchurch up into the Southern Alps then through a mountain tunnel to emerge on the western side.The scenery was stunning; starting on the lower Canterbury plains with the snow-capped mountains in the background, gradually climbing higher and higher through gorges and over viaducts as we followed the ice-fed Waimakariri River, until the highest point of Arthur's Pass at 737m above Sea level. A quick breath of fresh air on the platform here made us realise how much the temperature had dropped! We then dropped down to Moana where we left the train three and a half hours after setting off, to explore Lake Brunner, covering 47 sq km the largest lake in this part of the country. We were rather surprised to realise we were the only people to leave the train, so were able to enjoy complete stillness and quiet (apart from Abby and Freya) as we gazed across the tranquil water to the far hills.

A long day but thoroughly

Seriously cold!
worth it for the incredible scenery, Len you would love this trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

MoanaMoana
Moana

Stuart chilling with a beer as he takes in the view over Lake Brunner


Wow!


5th November 2014

great to see
Wow it looks amazing it is great to see you all having such a fantastic experience. I look forward to your new adventures xxxx
9th November 2014

The blogs up to now
We are so excited to see all you have done so far. Keep the blogs coming. Love Mum and Dadxxx f all you have done up to now. Keep them coming. Scenery magnificent..

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb