Our last full day in NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 26th 2010
Published: December 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 29

Boxing Day was also in sunshine and clear blue skies. Breakfast on the veranda was so cool we did it again! Then away along the coast onto the Otago Peninsular. We quickly passed St Clair’s beach where there were many surfers out at sea. Saw the bell to be rung if sharks were about. Went on to Sandfly Bay, not named after the fly but rather because the sand blows in the wind. Super views followed by a tumble down immense sand dunes to the beach and the sight of three sea lions who might as well have been dead for all the life shown by them. No fur seals and too early for penguins. We then went up to the end of the headland to spot albatrosses but again were unsuccessful, although we did see one on a live video link at the DOC visitor centre. For all the visible activity, it could have been stuffed, just like the sea lions. We returned to Dunedin via the harbour side road after lunch and had a look at the centre of the city where shopping seemed to be in full swing. Lastly, we went up to see the steepest street in the world (allegedly) and Richard did manage to walk to the top (Claire managed only half way) even though it nearly killed us!

This was our last full day in NZ. We crowned our trip with a farewell dinner in Dunedin with Alex. Heading for San Francisco next via Auckland so will be back in planes and probably not getting enough sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb