Queenstown 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 20th 2010
Published: December 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 23

All the time we had been in NZ we were always prepared to change plans. The campervan gave us this option and even if we couldn’t get a refund on booked over the internet site fees they were never very expensive to bother us. We had planned two nights at Glenorchy and expected to white water raft there. However, when we got there we found out that that wasn’t an option. Jet boats were available but we had done that. Instead, we decided to go kayaking across Lake Wakatipu to then walk on Pigeon Island with a guide. That was what we had booked. On the morning, when we met up with the guide, he told us it was too risky, as high winds were forecast. It had been a wet and windy night even though the morning was fair and looked set for sun. Rather than just stay locally and do a high hill walk we decided to bail out of Glenorchy and head back down to Queenstown. We had got up early to go kayaking so, after a quick phone call to the central town camp site, we departed. We had in our thoughts that rafting was easily available on the Shotover River. And that’s what we did in the afternoon.

Due to the nature of the activity we could not take the camera, hoping to rely on the photos the rafting company produced. Unfortunately they weren’t very good so we didn’t bother to buy them. So we have no record of our experience, only the memories of it. What a great time we had though! Started in town and were bussed up to Arthur’s Point. Kitted out there in wet suit, life jacket and helmet (dangerous sport!) and then back on the bus for a tremendous trip to the rafting start by way of Skippers Canyon Road. Absolutely no campervans allowed on this one! The sheer drops were fantastic. The driver got a round of applause when we arrived. With wet suits on it didn’t matter that the water was only 5 or 6 degrees C. Into the boats we hopped and off down the river, getting to know the drill. Gradually picking up speed we swept along and survived several 4 and 5 grade rapids, passed under a couple canyon swinging above us and even went through a 170m tunnel before exiting finally into the last rapid, a drop of several significant feet! Out and about for about 5 hours with 1½ on the water. At one point there was an option to go overboard. Claire did, Richard wasn’t daft enough.

After dinner a stroll to the lakeside where loads of people were congregating on the “beach” for the sunset. The reward was a magnificent sunset – what a fine way to end the day.

Picked up another local paper. Queenstown Times reports “tree blocks road”. On Sunday a travelling convoy of revellers were held up when a “bloody great pine tree” blocked the road between Glenorchy and Kinloch! (We knew this was a true story because we had passed the scene on Sunday as we drove around looking for Paradise – by then the bit on the road had been removed.)

It will be our last night in the campervan tonight so positively the last time we have to make up our bed before we can go to sleep – all in all, the only minor drawback to campervan life.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb