5,4,3,2,1.........Bungy....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
June 7th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

oh **!!oh **!!oh **!!

The most ungraceful bungy jump ever.

Christchurch



Well we arrived safely and what a shock, its like being back home. This city is just like Oxford they even have punts along the river and a city historical tram.After scouring the tourist info we decided on hiring another camper as the weather has been really good and we have heard a lot of bad reports about the pricey organised tours. So we hired a different kind of camper a bit plush compared to our last one, its even got a heated towel rail!!Jon was most excited about the dvd player,shame we dont have any dvds!😊

Kaikoura



Further up the coast is Kaikoura a whale watching spot, we went on a boat and managed to see 5 sperm whales. They were absolutely huge. We also saw wandering albatross among other birds and lots of dolphins along the way!

Hanmer Springs



Inland a little is the natural hot springs resort where we spent the afernoon chilling in the hot rock pools and sulphur pools(a bit whiffy!), we managed to wangle a free privet pool for half an hour too!

Mount Cook/Aoraki



The scenery is absolutely spectacular around here but because of the cold there always seem
BungyBungyBungy

I jumped slightly before mich which is why we are falling sideways instead of face down like everyone else.

to be clouds covering up the mountain(the maoris call it the cloud piercer, i see why!), even though we didnt see much of mount cook it was well worth the drive to see all the huge lakes, forests and mountains. Its like nowhere else on earth.

Queenstown



We arrived in what is supposed to be the start of ski season but its been so mild there is no snow!!We dont really mind that because it means we can spend time doing other stuff. We did a hike up to the top of the hills overlooking the lake and the remarkables, there are gorgeous views from the top then we had a go on the luge, fab!Next we got really adventurous and decide to do a tandem bungy, arrgh the fright. It was from the kawarau bridge(where they did the first commercial bungy) only 43 m but still felt pretty high. Jon did really well there was a little bit of swearing going on but we both jumped no problems- it was over too quickly though.The dvd we got is hilarious!! Later on we went jet boating which was fantastic 500bhp jet propelled boat doing 80km per hour along the beautiful shot river canyons.(not v green as it uses 2 litres of fuel per minute!)We sat at the back so got covered in water when they did the 360 degree spins, it was ace!!

Milford Sound



As a day trip from Queenstown we did the 12 hour round trip to Milford Sound, poor Jon did all the driving! Our kiwi friends Lani and Cam came along too. The drive to the sound was amazing. There are lots of scenic places to stop and have a look around like mirror lakes-which funnily enough is a lake that reflects just like a mirror,gorgeous. We had to go through a tunnel through the mountains which is 1000ms long, it felt like an age going through there and the traffic lights were on for 15minutes either end, which also felt like an age. The cruise around the sound was absolutely fantastic we felt the size of ants with the huge cliffs hanging over the water with lots of waterfalls, it felt very surreal with all the mist around.

Glaciers -Fox and Franz Josef



We next drove up though wanaka and up the the glaciers. The fox glacier (named after William Fox!)is the smaller of the two but you can get a bit closer to the terminal face, it was bizarre with all the rock around the bottom. Franz Josef we saw early in the morning so it was much clearer again it was superb- they wont be around for much longer as they are disappearing 1m per day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Our vanOur van
Our van

Just got the van from the hire place and about to leave christchurch.
Sunrise at kaikouraSunrise at kaikoura
Sunrise at kaikoura

About to set off to go whale watching.
Southern alpsSouthern alps
Southern alps

Looking towards Mt. cook (although you can't see it)
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

At the top of the gondola
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

On the luge
Road to milford soundRoad to milford sound
Road to milford sound

There are 10 x more sheep in NZ than people!!
Cam and laniCam and lani
Cam and lani

Who went to milford sound with us.
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

Jet boating
A "kar"!!A "kar"!!
A "kar"!!

correction this is infact a chamois- ie you clean your car with one!


8th June 2007

Wow!
You two are very brave. I don't think you'd ever get me jumping from anything! And your new campers no where near as pretty as the other one.....
8th June 2007

I don't believe it!
I can't believe you did that bungy jump - Jonathan. Glad I didn't know until after it was all over! Weather is hot and sunny here - but very tame compared to all your excitement.
13th June 2007

funniest thing i've seen for a long time, you two throwing yourselves off a bridge for fun sideways. brilliant. although jon sat on some kid's go kart comes a close second. i'll still be laughing by the time you get home. x
14th June 2007

If you think the picture is funny wait until you see the DVD. Lots of swearing, definately not family viewing.

Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb