Invercargill to Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After Milford sound we dicided to drive directly to the bottom of the south island and to Ivercargil. We arrive 10 minutes before last checkin and grabbed a quick snack before heading out....it was saturday after all. Down here there werent many tourists at all and those who were down here in our hostel anyway were the "ealy to bed and early riser" kind.....thankfully there were none of those in our car. It was a large town maybe the size of dundalk but the night life was more comparable with Ardee im afraid! We wandered round for a while asking where it i was all happening and we eventualy found a club. This was a small local town with a small local town mentality. We were getting a few curious looks but nothing to bad and we went full steam ahead with the partying til about 3 am when "fight hour", just like the small and bigger towns back home arrived. It was best to keep our foreign heads low and get to bed so we had a good time there but hanging around any longer that night was asking for trouble. Next day we just relaxed, watched the 3 lord of the rings films and the went to the cinema.
Monday, fully recharged we made our way towards dunedin with many stops on the way to different touristy places like Bluff, the most southern tip of the south island, the golden nuggets (a look out point), a few pretty cool waterfalls and to a beach with a few seals on it. They look fat and dosile but get too close and the can snap a growl at you to remind you to keep your distance.
Dunedin itself was a large student town and looked quite lively with plenty of bars around, but it was just our luck that they were all on holiday and the place was dead. There wasnt much to do here except visit Baldwin street, the steepest street in the world which was pretty steep i must admit. We also visited a light house near Dunedin where you could view the famous and huge royal Albatros. It was crazy money to view them be we reconned it would not be often we were so close so coughed up the cash. They gladly to the foreigners money but its a pity they all failed to mention that there were no feckin adult albatros around as they were all out at sea fishing for the chicks...typical! That night town was dead so Martin and Christian spent ages locking horns at the chess table. From afar, because they were taking ages for each game i thought they might be pretty good, but both "vikings" fell to the celtic warrior within about 15 minutes each i reckon.....hehe keep practicing lads!!! ;o)
After that it was back to queenstown and time to head north......


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb