Christchurch, Hamner, & Nelson


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 10th 2007
Published: February 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi there,

After some false starts we have the blog up and running (we think).

We flew into Christchurch about a week ago. It is a very cool town. We spent two days exploring the gardens, shops, and restaurants(!). Before heading out of town we picked up our sweet conversion rig. It's about a 10 year old Nissan Vanetta. The name pretty much sums it up-it's a van that comfortably fits us as long as we don't gain any weight. By looking at it you wouldn't guess that it holds a queen size bed, propane stove, fridge, pantry, and table.

From Christchurch we headed north to a 'spa resort' called Hamner. For all you Idahoans it looked a lot like a poor man's Sun Valley. We went ATVing through mountain streams followed by a good long soak in the sulphor hot springs. We camped beside a trampoline the first night and did some rockin' bouncing. Dave looked soooo goofy.

It was about a 3 hour drive through the wine country to Nelson. Nelson is a very nice town on a beautiful beach. There must be a 1:1 ratio of restaurants to people, but we ended up in the same restaurants for both our meals out since it was just too good. Based on a cute girl's recommendation Dave insisted that we camp out by the airport😊 While it was loud, it was right on a gorgeous beach.

On Tuesday we start the Abel-Tasman Track. More on that later.

-Rebekah & Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th February 2007

just wondering if you guys wanted to come over and watch a movie or go bowling this weekend. oh wait...you're in NEW ZEALAND. love the pictures. glad to hear you's are safe and eating well. miss you (and hate you only a little bit). rowan says w'zup. can't wait to read more!
10th February 2007

BEFORE YOU LEAVE NZ
Call my friends in Auckland, the Rowlands would love to meet you.
10th February 2007

NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY
Don't hold your breath waiting to hear from National Geographic for a photography position.
10th February 2007

Fun Trip
Dave, Looks like you are having a great adventure. Thanks for sharing the blog. Have Fun!!! j
11th February 2007

Wine...of course
You are doing our dream trip!! No kidding, just the other night Nathan was telling me how he wants to rent a van and live in NZ for a year. You beat us to it, luck!!! Anyway, Nathan said to drink Pinto Noir from the Central Otago. He says it's the best that NZ has to offer. Have a wonderful time and thanks for including me in your adventures!!!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb