New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
November 24th 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

November took us to New Zealand for an all-too-short two week trip around the South Island with Simon's Dad. NZ was really, truly beautiful - and soooo green (Australia is suffering a serious drought) - never has grass looked so lovely!

We started in Christchurch and drove up the East Coast to Kaikoura - a beautiful bay against a backdrop of snow capped mountains. Kaikoura is famous for its whales and we were lucky enough to see several sperm whales on a boat trip off the coast. We also stayed in the Ardara Lodge B&B and eat at 'Donegal House' - a home from home for Simon and his Dad!

After leaving Kaikoura it was on to Blenheim and the wineries, the Marlborough Sounds and Abel Tasman national park. We didn't get to taste any wine (some confusion over the timings!), but stayed in a fabulous cottage overlooking the bay in Kaiteriteri and were accompanied on a boat trip up the Abel Tasman coast by a pod of dolphins surfing in our wake. We also walked a little portion of the Abel Tasman track.

From Abel Tasman we drove west, towards Cape Foulwind, the Punakaiki pancake rocks and the 'wild west coast'. We arrived in Fox Galcier to be greeted by some of the worst rain I've ever seen - and foolishly decided that we weren't to be deterred from embarking on a 5 hour walking expedition on the Glacier. The photos just do not depict how truly wet and slippery it was!

It rained all the way to Queenstown - but from then on the sun shone on us. Queenstown was spectacular, and the drive from Queenstown to Te Anau in Fiordland was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. From Te Anau we took a day's kayaking on Milford Sound (apparently a penguin was sighted - although not by me!). Just as beautiful as everyone says...

But unbeknown to us, wed left the best until last: Aoraki - Mount Cook rising from the deep blue of Lake Pukaki. This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen - and I had to be dragged away. We walked in the Mount Cook national park, hearing the ominous sound of avalanches that we couldn't see, and visited both Lake Pukaki and Lake Tekapo.

From Mount Cook it was back to Christchurch and then to
Sperm Whale Sperm Whale Sperm Whale

A sperm whale diving off the coast at Kaikoura
Australia - a fabulous trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lunch timeLunch time
Lunch time

Lunch time on the Abel Tasman track
On the East CoastOn the East Coast
On the East Coast

Lunch time on the Abel Tasman track
Fox GlacierFox Glacier
Fox Glacier

A rainy day on Fox Glacier
LookoutLookout
Lookout

On the coastal path at Cape Foulwind
The wild west coastThe wild west coast
The wild west coast

On the coastal path at Cape Foulwind
Queenstown Queenstown
Queenstown

Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu
Preparing to kayakPreparing to kayak
Preparing to kayak

Nice skirts boys
Kayaking Milford SoundKayaking Milford Sound
Kayaking Milford Sound

Simon decides that you can never have too many snacks, and it's best to keep them close at hand...
Aoraki Mount CookAoraki Mount Cook
Aoraki Mount Cook

with Lake Pukaki in the foreground


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb