The West Coast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 16th 2019
Published: February 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Up the West Coast

We left Wapata in the middle of a bicycle race, how cool is that. The cyclists were cursing right along with us, well, at least when they were going down hill.



We followed Lake Wapata north until we left it for the Haast Pass, the gateway to the western shore of NZ. On the way we climbed passed lakes, one 1200 meters deep, and waterfalls, stopping at Fantail, Roaring Billy, and other falls. Fantail was cool, hundreds of rock cairns had been built in the dry river bed below it, certainly to be swept clean in the spring after the snows and thaws.



We had lunch next to the Tasmanian Sea, and then literally trekked through a rain forest for the view of Fox Glacier. How odd, to be standing in a dripping rain forest gazing at the blue ice. Of course, at one time this glacier actually went all the way to the sea.





We monitored on to Franz Josef Glacier for the long hike to see it...made all the longer by its retreat. Our son, John, was here just 10 years ago to see it and in that time it has retreated over 1100 meters. At least this country knows the climate is changing and all the signs that told the story of where the glacier once was discussed what individuals can do to fight climate change--all put up by the New Zealand Department of Conservation!





We made a couple of fun stops today. The first was at a small, unoccupied booth by the road filled with honey for sale. Of course we had to buy some. And early in the day's motoring we stopped at a small inn and I had yet another great pie--this time lamb.





A couple of interesting facts that we have recently picked up on. First, forgot to tell you that Milford Sound seems to suffer from over 100 earthquakes a year! Most are not recorded as they are in isolated areas. But, and this news was told to us just before we drove away headed for the tunnel that takes you through the highest mountain in the area, the area is long overdue for a major quake, predictions are 8.5 on the Richter Scale..... Also, at the Franz Josef Glacier we were informed that the area gets over 16 meters of rain a year. As in over 40 feet of rain annually. Why it was not raining there today I have no idea. We head further up the West Coast tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Roadside hunny standsRoadside hunny stands
Roadside hunny stands

Poor bear is present
Where the Glacier once wasWhere the Glacier once was
Where the Glacier once was

John saw it here 10 years ago


Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb