Swivels Up the West Coast ( Greymouth---Westport)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Westport
September 7th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived in Greymouth it was once again dark and hard to really see what the small west coast town looked like. We dropped the girls off at the hostel checked into a hotel and immediately looked for a bar to have a drink and celebrate our conquering of a glacier. After walking around for what seemed like an hour on a single street we finally settled on the Coal Face restaurant: stone grill. This was a great pick because they served their dinner on a stone grill, which meant I got to cook my main meal by myself on a stone at 400*. It was so much fun and mom and I could not be more amazed and entertained by it.

Day 7 August 27:
When we emerged from our hotel that morning we finally got to see what Greymouth had to offer.... little to nothing. However since Lindsey, Emmas sister was catching her train from here we had to wait until 1pm to leave. So what do es one do for a few hours
1) Walk around the whole town
2) Look around the one Picture Gallery
3) Get coffee
4) Roam around the organic food store, buy some granola, buy some nuts
5) Go into the Greenstone museum
6) Call Alyssa
7) Go back to the organic store becuase we wanted more granola

Finally we were able to leave and so we continued on to Westport.

However this time we did not drive straight to Westport, we made a pit stop at the Pancake Rocks, and yes they really do look like Pancakes. We also met some of my other friends who were doing the same trip just in reverse order then us there. We also went into a dark cave without any lights ... once again probably not the best idea we had but I am only in New Zealand once. Following the cave we walked through pretty much a rain forest and then a to a beach. The beach was incredible. I have never seen a beach made out of pebbles. The bottom of the cliffs were all craved out by the waves and small waterfalls came off them. Could not ask for a better afternoon with my Mom.

We arrived just before the sunset grabbed a case of beers and headed to the point to watch the sun go down for our last night all together. Now we thought Greymouth and Fox Glacier were small towns well Westport beat both of them by a mile. It took me and mom half hour to find the one restaurant that was open past seven, but we did find it. It was a nice locals spot which me mom and molly enjoyed our last night together.

Day 8 August 28
We all woke early and headed out to the point in Westpoint for one last view before Mom and Molly took oaring Meg back to Christchurch and Left me Emma and Troll to finish our journey through the South Island. We drove 20 minutes out to the seal colony, a great way to end our trip with da crew. When we got back to town Mom dropped us off at the hostel and we said our goodbyes and parted ways.

Me Emma and Troll did not know when we booked our buss tickets for the following day out of westport that there would be nothing to do in the town, so we were now stuck.

The only way to describe the next day in a half in Westport is.... October Sky.

If you have seen the movie you know what I am talking about. If you have not seen the movie I suggest you go rent it and watch it if you want to know what I am talking about.

Day 9 August 29
3:25pm got the bus out of WESTPORT!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb