One of the most scenic drives.....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Westport
August 25th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning we got up and had all intentions of doing a walk as both Steve and I were feeling a stir of cabin fever having spent so much time in the car recently. Having read the Lonely Planet guide I was aware of a few walks that sounded really good for scenery and also a reasonable length. So decision made that we would do a walk and stay in Greymouth that night we set off.

The road between Westport and Greymouth was voted by Lonely Planet as one of the top 10 most scenic drives in the world and I would have to say that it was pretty impressive! As we driving along the road Steve and I came to the sea and so decided to stop and have a play on the beach. The sea was rolling in hard and fast and it would have been a surfers paradise. We messed around on the beach for awhile and then Steve decided to go and play on the rocks. He did get the “motherly” warning from me that he was going to get wet if he wasn't careful - along with a warning he wouldn't be getting back into the Starlet if he was too wet! Anyway he headed off so I went in the opposite direction. After awhile I decided to head back to the car so started off and then saw Steve jump off the rocks and stand looking at the sand for awhile whilst the sea came rolling in.... Needless to say I shook my head as his feet got soaked by the sea. It transpired that as he jumped off the rock his glasses fell off and fell on the sand and that was the last he saw of them as the sea took them away!

Once back in the car we carried along the road and stopped for more photos and we then came across the Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. So we jumped out of the Starlet and headed off around the pathway to see the natural formations for ourselves. Fortunately for us we had timed it right and we were there for high tide so were able to witness the blowholes at full effect. We spent awhile wandering around the area and watched the sea with its mesmerising ferocity.

Once back in the Starlet we kept our eyes peeled for the pathways and walks we had read about however either the walks aren't signposted or we had missed them as we soon hit Greymouth. We pulled up on the sea front and had our lunch whilst debating whether to stay in Greymouth (not the biggest or most happening town!) or head to Franz Josef and do a walk on Tuesday. In the end the decision was to head to Franz Josef and stay there an extra night.

Our arrival in Franz Josef was uneventful and we once again hit the pouring rain which was to be the theme of our stay in the town....!!

As the first picture says Happy Birthday Jessica! I hope you have a fantastic 3rd birthday and that Mummy, Daddy and Jakers spoil you rotten! Eat lots of cake and when I am home we will do something special to celebrate your birthday again! I am sending you lots of hugs and kisses. Love. Aunty Andrea xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb