Shantytowns and Bumpy Roads


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast
September 5th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 521 (31.08.08)

Leaving Greymouth we were once again on the road south. Mum and Dad had spotted a reconstructed gold rush town and fancied popping in for a poke around. Not thinking we would get anything else out of it than we had previously gained from our previous visit to Sovereign Hill (another very similar spot in Ballarat, Aus) we decided to go for a little jaunt of our own. Looking at the map we spotted a lake not too far away that we would aim for.

After a little while the adventure started - the tarmac road ended and the unsealed road began. At first the road was great, nice and firm, not many rocks and very flat - with great scenery flying by life was great. Gradually as we continued on, more and more rocks, lumps, bumps and pot holes started to creep into our journey. Not to be deterred that easily we forged ahead. After a short while through some logging landscape, we hit a gate way - decision time! The sign read that this is where the local authorities finished maintaining the road (bla bla bla bla - diddly doo diddly doo) it looked good so we carried on deciding that we'd turn around if it was taking us too long or if the road got too bad. The logging landscape ended and we went further into more dense forrest - a lovely drive if a little on the bumpy side! We were pretty sure we were nearly at the sealed road and the lake however time was ticking on and if we had made a miscalculation from our rather undetailed map we would have to make our way back along the way we'd come. Finding a good place to turn and spotting a bit of road even the 'green exploring machine' would possibly struggle with we decided this was the point to start heading home. We both had great fun and reached the the tarmac road again with big grins!

Back to pick up the 'olds' and busting for the loo - we asked the fella at reception if they had one we could borrow and he sent us into the park - nice chap! Bumping into Mum and Dad on the way we realised that they may be a little longer than planned so went to play some cards in the van so they could finish off their tour.

Back in convoy again our next stop was Hokitika. This is a pretty small town famous for its jade production and carving. Chatting to a guy who was in the process of polishing the piece he was working on and finding out a little more about the mining and production of jade jewellery and artefacts - Mum and Dad bought a couple of pieces - one each for Mum's and Chrissie's xmas prezzies - thanks guys!

Further down the coast and a popular stop for the tourists is a little place called the Bushman's Centre in Pukekura. In the middle of nowhere this quirky little place (just opposite a fantastically named pub - Pub Puke) sells various tourist tat - but done in a very tongue in cheek way. With funny posters and signs covering the walls it would take you a good hour to get round them all. We decided to get a snack of 'possom pie' (possibly one of the only places you can get such a 'delicacy') which tasted a bit like chicken - come on, are you really surprised?!

After the final leg of driving we arrived in Franz Josef and booked up a galcier hike for the following day


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb