Up the West Coast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast
March 9th 2008
Published: March 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning we drove to Fox Glacier and Gillespie's Beach where we walked the beach, watched the sea, ate lunch and attempted a nap amid the bugs. We continued on to a town called Hokitika where nearly all of the jade is mined. After finding a place to sleep off the grid we popped back into town the next morning for a visit to the jade factory and a shower at the local pool where we met a friendly local with much wisdom to share.

Our next destination was Punakaiki where the famous Pancake Rocks are found; these are somewhat of a mystery as it is not entirely known how they were formed. The Tasman was near high tide and entertained us with its mighty waves crashing on the rocks and into the blowholes. It was a pleasant break to our drive before continuing on to our final destination of Nelson. We found our way to Kevin and Leslie's house for the night and met their new Kiwi roommate Hannah.

Why did we put on so many kilometers so quick? Well, we were flying out Wednesday to Auckland to spend the weekend with Charlotte and Duane and go to
Cedar Creek, NZCedar Creek, NZCedar Creek, NZ

Could not pass it up. For those that do not know, Kirby is from Cedar Creek Farms Ltd. in Alberta.
the long awaited Chemical Brothers concert!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Mighty TasmanThe Mighty Tasman
The Mighty Tasman

Along the west coast, where the Tasman Sea or the "Ditch" separates NZ from Australia.
A WaveA Wave
A Wave

The Tasman was a little angry during the time we passed it, therefore lots of waves. Really quite something, when one was done another came. Go figure. Sound was amazing.
Old Mining EquipmentOld Mining Equipment
Old Mining Equipment

It is wild to see the past rusting away, especially when one thinks of the size, time, and scale the equipment was made in. Also, with the cost of metal today it is crazy to think it is just sitting there.
Petro FeesPetro Fees
Petro Fees

Just to let everyone know we hit a new high record... 197.9 cents per litre.
Sitting on PancakesSitting on Pancakes
Sitting on Pancakes

At the pancake rocks we found a couch, but it would not fit in the van, and it is a National park.
More Pancake vs TasmanMore Pancake vs Tasman
More Pancake vs Tasman

See if you can see the rainbow.
Yet More Pancakes in the "Ditch"Yet More Pancakes in the "Ditch"
Yet More Pancakes in the "Ditch"

If one looks closely there are many featured animals and other things molded (weathered / 'geomorphed') into the rock formation.
Lookout of the Southern RangesLookout of the Southern Ranges
Lookout of the Southern Ranges

At this lookout we were able to see for kilometers, pictures are limiting to the magnitude .


22nd March 2008

Furniture:
Judging by the pancake sofa, it would seem like they build things there to go the distance- Childproof frame; washable wearever upholstery...
26th March 2008

Great to see another Cedar Creek in that end of the world! Wonder if it's surrounded by it's namesake trees.
26th March 2008

Nelson and Clyde
I have enjoyed reading about all you exciting travels. I just thought that I would comment on 2 of the places you guys have visited, Nelson and Clyde. Isn't it fitting that the 2 beloved pets would be with you on your adventure?

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb