Kura Tawhiti Track


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast
February 12th 2022
Published: February 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

In the Waimakariri Basin there is a scattering of hundreds of weathered limestone rocks.

These ancient rocks are smooth, sculpted, spectacular, and sometimes a little bit creepy. Named by Ngai Tahu Kura Tāwhiti, or "treasure from afar", it's also an area of cultural and spiritual significance.

The limestone rocks were formed from years of sediment compression and then shaped by erosion following a large uplifting event.

As Patrick & Jacinda took to the trail the scenery was spectacular and got even better when they reached the top.

There were very few people around but when Jacinda was in the photo either on her hands or her feet you could really appreciate the magnitude of the rocks.

The area was also a location for the movie “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”. Castle Hill was also the iconic Lord of the Rings scene where the Fellowship take rest amongst a rocky plateau en route to the Misty Mountains.

Another brilliant tour discovering more of South Island NZ.



https://www.heygo.com/tours/new-zealands-kura-tawhiti-track


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement






















Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb