The sun is out...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Punakiaki
December 23rd 2005
Published: January 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's stopped raining! The grey clouds are gone and it is all blue skies. In some ways that is typical as we were left the glaciers today but it can't be helped.

We are in Punakiaki now which is further north up the coast. We are in this really cool hostel that is situated in the rainforest. It is not one building but lots of small cabins each with its own kitchen and stuff. The views out of the windows are great.

We went to the Pancake Rocks earlier (which is what a lot of people come here to see) and they were great. One of my favourite things so far. They are these tall rocks that are actually stacks of rocks (I assume they are supposed to look like pancakes). There are lots of blow holes in between them so when it is high tide the water shoots out. This description is not doing it justice. You will just have to believe me that they are groovy.

We also walked to the beach which is just behind the hostel. It is really rugged coast line here and the waves were pounding the beach. Not that there was much beach as it was high tide. It was really interesting to watch the sea - very calming. Hopefully when we get to Kateriteri we will be able to go in the sea as it should be much calmer. Not long to Christmas...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb