Bloody aussies...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Punakiaki
July 23rd 2005
Published: July 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

I've been surprised how many travellers in this country get around by hitchhiking. They literally come here with nothing and hitch around, finding work wherever they can. It's legal here, only banned on the large 4 lane highways found in bigger cities like Auckland or Wellington. In Punakaiki (poo-na-kike-eee) we were roomed with an American named Kyle that's been doing it for 9 months now. He had $60 dollars to his name, but was doing just fine and had no worries. It was nice to meet someone like that, and his stories of tramping and other times of just being poor and desperate were inspiring. 20 years old, didn't go to college, and had never travelled in his life. He still seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, and seemed anxious to head back to the states to attend school. Something he had no desire to do before travelling. It makes you wonder about going off straight to school like we're supposed to nowadays, as opposed to taking time off, living your life, and figuring out what it is exactly you want to do. Travelling, you probably grow and gain as much experience and applicable knowledge for your future as you do attending school. And I would assume you'd have a better grasp and passion for whatever path you decide on. It would have been valuable knowledge 4 years ago. Of all the words of mice and men...

We're currently in Wanaka, and we picked up a Scottish hitcher named Nick in Fox Glacier. Unfortunately you don't find many beautiful women with their thumbs out in the middle of a mountain range. Not the free kind, anyways.
It's a squeeze fitting 3 guys in our 2 door Toyota Starlet. I've never been in an automatic car that you literally had to change the gear down to 1st to go up hills. It's been good though. Only $29 a day plus gas, and it's really fuel-efficient.
Today we were flagged down buy an Australian couple on the side of the road. They'd managed to get their little toyota stuck in the wet grass when they stopped to take a picture. We all helped push it out. They said their thanks and drove away. Getting back in the car, Nick looked down and screamed, "Bloody f'in hell!" He was covered in mud slinged by the tires. He was the only one. I think he insulted australians for a good hour afterwards..."shoulda never stopped for a buncha bloody aussies anyways...cheeky bastards." It was funny.

Punakaiki was really neat. It's mostly famous for the Pancake Rocks. I forget how they were formed, but it's a bunch of rock towers that look like stacked pancakes. They're right on the ocean, and somehow the way they're shaped creates a sort of blowhole the water shoots out of, just like you'd imagine from a whale, except bigger and splashier. The pressure of the huge waves smacks against the rock, and when it has nowhere else to go it just shoots straight up through the rock. There's one you walk by on the path called "Sudden Sound". Somehow the waves push enough water and air through a little cave to cause this spout to just roar every few minutes. It sounded about like a dinosour.

Today we hiked up Mt. Iron, a smaller mountain that still gives great views of the area. I wish I was better at describing scenary...there's just mountains, lakes, valleys and any other geological formation you can think of everywhere. It's astounding. I've not seen anything more majestic and movie-like in my life. It all just looks fake.
Tomorrow we're supposedly hiking 6 hours up Mt. Roy, which is frikkin huggge. I had a really hard time with Mt Iron, so I dunno if it's gonna happen. We'll see.
OK, until next time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb