The Best Backpackers Ever


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Greymouth
March 12th 2006
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

What a Room...What a Room...What a Room...

We were overwhelmed by the friendly atmosphere, the nice asian owners, the free mountain bikes and kayaks, and the spa. But this beautiful individually decorated african style room for a usual backpacker rate was just unbelievable!
With all the wild camping and hiking once in a while we were looking for indoor accomodation with showers. In Greymouth we got a lot more than this! Run as a Backpackers by a local couple Global Village is a place of great atmosphere. When we arrived and steped into the lobby we felt like being in someones living room. A nice fire was crackling in the fireplace, gentle music was playing in the background, and people sat on comfortable sofas reading or chating. We we got to see our room we could hardly belive it. It was completely in african style decor with pictures, wood carvings, and other affectionately chosen interior and accessories. It was easily the nicest room I had during my whole journey!
And everything else was just perfect, too. Let alone the kitchen! So nice and clean. I was used to the ugly and dirty hostel kitchen by that time. Where nobody tries to improve anything anymore, just because he knows it's going to be messed up again in less than a day. But here nobody messed up anything. All the dishes could be found dry and clean in the cupboards. The owners backed fresh bread and
Suspension BridgeSuspension BridgeSuspension Bridge

On the way to Greymouth we passed through Bulls River Gorge. Sure you can shoot across the gorge on a "Fly by wire"...
wellcomemuffins for everyone.
Most amazing to me was the effect it had on the people staying. Even though normal backpacker mix, nobody exhibited the usual devil-may-care attitude. Everything was treated with care, cleaned after use, Muffins left for other.
So we really enjoyed staying there, including the hours in the hot garden spa to relax our tired limbs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

GhosttownGhosttown
Ghosttown

In a small roadside town just a few kilometers before Greymouth we enjoyed the sunset hour. It had a strange atmosphere, a quiet road crossing overlocked by some woodcarvings in front of the town's Gallery.


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 40; qc: 181; dbt: 0.1216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb