From Wanaka to Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Franz Josef
April 18th 2007
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The journey from Wanaka to the Glaciers involves a very long drive through the rainforest. After a while it reaches the west coast and follows it more or less until reaching the glaciers half way up the north island. The drive is interesting as you get to see lots of the rain forest, and the road itself is varied in that there are long straight stretches, very very bendy mountainous stretches and interesting items such as the single lane bridges which are shared with the railway line! You have to try and look along the line the other side to check no trains are coming before starting to cross.

The waterfall in the pics was in the middle of the forest - I only spotted it because the road was higher at first and then went down into the valley. There was a proper walk laid out to take you from the road to the fall.

It's a long drive with very few towns or places along the route - so no petrol stations and no mobile coverage. Luckily I'd filled up in Wanaka.

Eventually I reached Fox glacier but continued 20km to Franz Joseph Glacier as it was late and there are more accomodation options there. I got a room and booked a guided glacier hike for the next morning. The hike was really good, they take you in a coach to within about 5km of the base of the glacier and you walk along the river to reach it. The glacier itself is massive. At it's deepest it's 400m thick. It's impossible to appreciate the scale, even when in front of it unless you see people climbing it. I've included a picture with people half way up but not sure if they'll be clear.

They gave us crampons and we climbed higher than any half-day group has been for 6 months apparently. It was easy enough going up, but coming down was a bit dicey - especially for a kid who decided he would leave the path we we're following and ended up sliding down a few metres on his backside.

My legs are now so stiff I can hardly walk - horse riding and ice climbing two days running is not a good combination...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Glacier with person outlinedGlacier with person outlined
Glacier with person outlined

The red circle shows a person climbing - to give idea of scale


19th April 2007

Glacier pics.
Fantastic photos Matt. You will have to let Ali have a copy for her Media stuff. Tess is still with us at Chesham. She is well and enjoying the hot and sunny weather with Ian in the garden.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb